Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sharqiya University?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
betacygnus

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expat101 wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:
The ad says "A tax-free salary of RO 1400- 1500 per month depending upon qualifications and experience. The salary includes accommodation and transportation."

So, the salary is thus only about 1000-1100 (give or take) which is about the norm.

VS

The salary sounds good to me, especially if it's really 'tax-free!'

I'm wondering about housing for 80 teachers in this small city. How would such a large number of teachers find housing on their own at the same time? I'm thinking the university would have to help. Does anyone know what the average cost for housing would be in this area? Is this quote
'apartments in Ibra are very cheap; 120 RO will get you a huge place'
true or would it be a fairly nice place at that price?

During the first year at ASU, there were about 250 students. During this year, the second year, that number grew to 800-900. The female students were provided accommodation, the boys were left to fend for themselves. The building next door to the teachers' block of flats, which Madrileno mentioned, was used this year to house 160 female students. IF ASU grows by an equal amount this coming year, then not only will there be 80 teachers searching for accommodation, there will also be an increased number of male students searching, and some or most of the new buildings currently being built will be given over to the girls ... bottom line ... there is a high possibility of a housing crunch in the future, and landlords may very well take advantage of the shortage by raising rents ... how much is anybody's guess. But stay tuned - the future can change on a moment's notice here.
madrileno

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with an update on developments at ASU?

I finished a contract there in 2010/11 back when ELS still ran the GFP, and I'm hearing rumors that teachers are being offered the OR 1500 advertised salary WITH housing!

Is this the case? Can anybody shed light on this?
hashim99uk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madrileno wrote:
Anyone with an update on developments at ASU?

I finished a contract there in 2010/11 back when ELS still ran the GFP, and I'm hearing rumors that teachers are being offered the OR 1500 advertised salary WITH housing!

Is this the case? Can anybody shed light on this?

I have been offered 1400 OR to teach accounting, and met with an American teacher in Saudi Arabia who got offer of 1400 as well. He has been teaching English for more than 15 years. But I heard that the place is very boring and Ibra is just a village, but Omanis are great, great nature indeed! all teachers praise Omanis.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite clear what "with housing" means... do you mean the 1400 includes the housing allowance? Or do you mean 1400 plus the housing allowance?

VS
Expat101

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what they advertised here on Dave's ESL Cafe:
'Package
1.A tax-free salary of RO 1400- 1500 per month depending upon qualifications and experience. The salary includes accommodation and transportation.'
They want more than 80 teachers and my main concern is housing because it doesn't sound like there is much and there's so many people who will be looking at the same time, especially the students. I don't even know if there's enough hotels to accommodate everyone temporarily.
hashim99uk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expat101 wrote:
'Package
1.A tax-free salary of RO 1400- 1500 per month depending upon qualifications and experience. The salary includes accommodation and transportation.'
They want more than 80 teachers and my main concern is housing because it doesn't sound like there is much and there's so many people who will be looking at the same time, especially the students. I don't even know if there's enough hotels to accommodate everyone temporarily.

1400 OR including housing allowance 300, transport allowance 30 ... the total is 1400 OR. I asked a friend who is living in Nizwa and has a friend in Ibra about the rent in Ibra, he said we can get it easily, furnished flat no more than 100 OR. Big house with 4 bedrooms for 150 OR. It is just a village but 90 minutes to Muscat by car. We can buy a brand new car from any car dealer with monthly instalments. Instead of paying for rented car 150 OR I can buy new one. e.g Hyundai accent 2011, for 130 OR a month, 4 years finance despite my contract is for one year, they know the contract renewed automatically. Most of teachers said Omanis are the best in the Middle East.
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hashim99uk wrote:
Expat101 wrote:
'Package

1400 OR including housing allowance 300, transport allowance 30 ... the total is 1400 OR. I asked a friend who is living in Nizwa and has a friend in Ibra about the rent in Ibra, he said we can get it easily, furnished flat no more than 100 OR. Big house with 4 bedrooms for 150 OR. It is just a village but 90 minutes to Muscat by car. We can buy a brand new car from any car dealer with monthly instalments. Instead of paying for rented car 150 OR I can buy new one. e.g Hyundai accent 2011, for 130 OR a month, 4 years finance despite my contract is for one year, they know the contract renewed automatically. Most of teachers said Omanis are the best in the Middle East.

The salary includes a housing allowance. That answers my question. I thought that housing was provided free ON TOP of the salary provided from the rumors I was hearing.

Thank you hashim for clearing that up.
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I heard those rumors too... But then someone set me straight a few days ago.

Although I heard that teachers were being offered OMR1400 but then another source who is heading to ASU next year told me that some teachers are being offered OMR1500. In both cases they have to find their own housing.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied for this position also but stated that I wanted to be considered for the 2014-2015 year. Would this be too early to apply? I have a contract that finishes Sept 2013 and I don't want to start in the middle of the semester and get hand me down classes.

G
raymond59

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hashim99uk wrote:
Expat101 wrote:
'Package

I drove from Muscat to Ibra and unless you are suicidal, a 90-minute-drive is highly unlikely. Driving safely will take you at least 2 hours if not more.
Turbster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raymond59 wrote:
hashim99uk wrote:
Expat101 wrote:
'Package

I drove from Muscat to Ibra and unless you are suicidal, a 90-minute-drive is highly unlikely. Driving safely will take you at least 2 hours if not more.

The way many Omanis drive.....................90 minutes would be about right! Shocked
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the poster who said 2 hours has a very old car or has only traveled that road once or twice so drove very slowly because they didn't know the road but when we lived in Ibra we drove that road a couple of times a week and it took exactly 90min even at night.

We went a normal speed (much slower than the Omanis overtaking us) and drove safely.
Turbster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lizzie,

The worst thing about that road is that driving your own car is okay! But as a defensive driver, who therefore has to consider the possible actions of other drivers as a key element of getting from A to B safely, it is so mentally exhausting! Also, the road is very narrow, allowing no 'wriggle room' at all, and worst of all, at night, most drivers have not yet worked out that there is a 'dip switch', where it is, and how to use it! All over Oman, following drivers are awful in this respect!
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went on a tour of Oman with my husband and I have to say that out of all the roads we have traveled on the Muscat to Ibra road is our least favorite road in Oman (we haven't driven to Salalah yet). It really sucks with all the Omanis going 220km an hour and overtaking dangerously. One of the teachers we worked with in Ibra was in a head on collision on that road, and there are accidents almost every day. We saw some really bad ones when lived in Ibra.

Recently we went back to Ibra but we took the Quriyat highway to Sur, stayed there with friends, and then traveled from Sur to Ibra. My husband and I decided we hated that road so much that we took the back way to Nizwa (our next destination) rather than travel on that road.

We have talked about it and decided we wouldn't work in Ibra again unless the new highway they are planning to build was completed (probably only going to be completed in 10 years if ever!).
Turbster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw in the newspaper last Wednesday, the contract for 'dualisation' of that road is up for tender. Completion 2014.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: