Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prior knowledge of Italian but no experience

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crystalpalace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Prior knowledge of Italian but no experience Reply with quote

I'm looking to work in Italy from september onwards, preferably in a biggish town in the north or central italy. I have a very good understanding of italian due to italian family and I think i could be a completely fluent speaker within a few months.

HOWEVER, i have just completed my CELTA and have zero experience. Everywhere I look in italy they require experience. Will my prior knowledge of italian help me in anyway? Should i mention this on applications?

Any help or information would be wonderful!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of experience could be a disadvantage, but you've got both the CELTA and Italian language skills - these will definitely count in your favour.

You could try applying to schools that will give you help and support in lesson planning, teacher development, classroom observations etc. Be upfront with the school, and say you're looking for opportunities to develop with them, and show that you're interested in being the best teacher you can. Obviously, a lot of DOS have limited time, but if you come across as genuinely motivated to do a great job with their support, you might strike the right chord and find someone who will be delighted to help in any way they can.
crystalpalace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, that's exactly what i'll be doing over the next few weeks. Would you recommend any towns or schools where you think i may have a better chance of finding a job?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a difficult one. Perhaps try the larger towns or cities, as there are more language schools, so more chances of finding one that will take you on. There are some places that take on teachers without experience (Inlingua, Wall St etc) as they train their teachers in their own method. This is perhaps not what you're looking for long-term, but it could be an option if you keep coming up against the no-experience factor.
crystalpalace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, i'll add them to the list as well. Their specific learning techniques seem interesting from what I've quickly read up on the two schools, they seem to have their own rigid ways of doing things.

Also, one last question if you don't mind me asking. I've heard and been told that i'm better off waiting until early September before emailing/harassing language schools in Italy for work. Is this sound advice? Or should I start trying to contact them now?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're much better off waiting til September. Absolutely nothing happens in August, as most of the country is on holiday. Once students get back, companies start thinking about training etc, that's when schools start looking around for teachers. Start looking beginning of September onwards, but don't necessarily expect to start teaching til at least mid-September.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: