Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

St Giles College Sao Paolo / Campinas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vani

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: St Giles College Sao Paolo / Campinas Reply with quote

Hi there,

I just wondered whether anybody had any information about St Giles based in Sao Paolo and also the city of Campinas, where they are opening their 2nd centre in January.

I have an interview with St Giles next week and would be grateful for any words of advice about their operations in Brazil. I am also after information about quality of life in Campinas. In addition, if anybody has lived in Sao Paolo, I would like their opinion on the true dangers of life in the city and also the positives.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
AcidBurn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don�t think Sao Paulo is really so dangerous if you keep cool and dress casual. Most of the crime I have heard about was people having their cars stolen and just about everyone I know down there has had that problem. Oddly enough, they have all had their cars recovered in good condition.

But if you drive a BMW, wear a Rolex and dress in an Armani suit everyday, then you�re probably asking to get mugged. It wouldn�t be a question of �if�, but �when�.

There are some areas, of course, which should be avoided. Obviously, you don�t want to be near the favelas. Also, some areas around Centro are a little dangerous and you should always be wary of who is around you. Guarulhos (the city around the airport) is also very bad. I�ve also been told to avoid a lot of the Southern part of the city.

All in all, you�re not in a Western city anymore and Sao Paulo is more dangerous than NYC, London, Paris or Tokyo. But as long as you act normal and don�t dress too flashy, you�ll be fine. Just don�t advertise yourself as a target.

As for the positives, it�s a very lively city with a nightlife that compares with the best of them (Paris, NYC, London, etc.), the women are beautiful, it�s a pretty cheap place compared to most Western cities, the restaurants are outstanding and people are generally friendly. Of course, you really need to know a local Paulista to enjoy the city and if you go there without knowing anyone, I don�t think you�d like it because it can be a very intimidating and confusing place. And unless you speak Portuguese, it will be difficult to get by because very few people there speak English.

And Campanias�never been there. Though my fianc�e�s cousin works there and he says it�s a really nice city with a great quality of life. Much safer than Sao Paulo, but only something like an hour away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: