Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach in Georgia program
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naughtybynature

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recruited through Greenheart who essentially act as a broker for the Ministry of Education.

It is correct that you don't have a choice over region for your first term. You are asked about your preferences but it isn't relevant whatsoever.

Once you have completed one term then you have the ability to move wherever you like depending on whether host families are available. If there are no host families available and you find your own accommodation then finding schools rarely seems a problem. Tbilisi for instance has many jobs but not many host families especially for males so I know a few people who have moved to Tbilisi and found themselves a place.

On the safety side of things I have never felt safer in a country. One is almost overly complacent here. By nature there are stories of girls having bad experiences with Georgian males but this happens in all nations including at home. A fool at home is simply a fool while abroad it appears to some that they represent the whole nation. It's a poor line of argument. So yeah there are bad stories here but I would say you are safer as a girl here than in London where I am from.

You will be co-teaching with three different Georgian co-teachers and teaching 1-6 with the option of teaching older kids if you request it.

Experiences of this are varied. Some have been blessed with competent co-teachers with good English who are happy to share their classroom while some have had to deal with co-teachers with barely any command of English who restrict any input from the 'volunteer'.

Teaching hours vary from school to school but tend to be around 8-15 hours a week. Private lessons are easy to find especially in Tbilisi if you want them.

The salary here is livable especially if you live in a village. It's cheap to eat out and drink. Tbilisi would be a lot tougher but it can be done. What makes it tough is going out often etc so if you limit yourself to your weekends then your fine. The hospitality aspect of this country is real and the people in my experience have been wonderful. It really is a friendly place and foreigners aren't treated as tourists yet but as guests.

Not everyone has enjoyed it here though. It's not a conventional place and will test your patience at times but if you are an adaptable person who can deal with highs and lows then you are more likely to enjoy this place.

If anyone has any further questions about Georgia feel free to ask.
JacobTM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'd like to know a little about the whole experience in Georgia. I'm pretty interested in what life is like there.

Have you found it more useful to learn Russian or Georgian? Have you used your skills at learning language to make any local friends? How have you found social life?

Did you all have to buy your own tickets to Georgia and then get reimbursed, or were the tickets bought for you up front?

How about transportation? If you're not in Tbilisi, what are your options? Cabs, busses, bikes, motorcycles? What's it like to get around in Georgia?

Thanks a ton,
Jacob
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cks points out the dangers of "a host family with very dated mentalities"

A strange way to express your prejudices !
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with Georgians occasionally, and I think cks is trying to say politely that there is still a segment of Georgian society that sees women in ways that Western society might have 100 or more years ago.

For a female thinking of heading to Georgia, this would be a helpful bit of information.
adventuramust

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JacobTM wrote:
So I'd like to know a little about the whole experience in Georgia. I'm pretty interested in what life is like there.

Have you found it more useful to learn Russian or Georgian? Have you used your skills at learning language to make any local friends? How have you found social life?

Did you all have to buy your own tickets to Georgia and then get reimbursed, or were the tickets bought for you up front?

How about transportation? If you're not in Tbilisi, what are your options? Cabs, busses, bikes, motorcycles? What's it like to get around in Georgia?

Thanks a ton,
Jacob

I too was wanting this information. Someone else posted this volunteer program, unlike many others, doesn't require you to pay for much. I was hoping for details on that as well.

What is and is not paid for with regards to plane, visa, etc...Does one typically eat with the host family? I ask this because of dietary restrictions. I am an older lady. Any thoughts on how I might be viewed?

Is there any sightseeing at all either on weekends or in the rural villages?

Thanks much.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Georgia in Europe ? What did Uncle Joe say on that point ?

Have a look at this

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/achenblog/2008/08/georgia_is_in_europe.html
Lack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now the program is being scaled back quite a bit and no more volunteers are being accepted for at least 6 months it looks like. I had recently found out about teaching in Georgia and now apparently I won't be able to. I saw the news on the footprints recruiting site and on Greenheart travel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: