Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any TOEFL teaching jobs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niederbom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Any TOEFL teaching jobs? Reply with quote

I want to teach in Singapore next year after I spend a year teaching in mainland China.

Can I realistically expect to find a job specializing in the TOEFL or SAT tests? Or should I take a traditional ESL job?

Right now in China, I have the option of taking a traditional oral English job at a university or a TOEFL teaching position at a prep school beginning September 1.

I would imagine, given that Singapore only has 3 universities, compared to 11 in Dalian for a similar population, many Singaporean students would try to study abroad. Am I wrong?

I have a BA (in English, not teaching) and TEFL, and if feasible next summer, I would get a DELTA at IH Bangkok before starting work in Singapore in the fall of 2011.

EDIT: I also do not have a teaching background, which is why I want the 1 year of experience + DELTA + Intermediate Mandarin before trying to crack Singapore.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do some research on the demographics of esl students in Singapore before you come. I have been teaching here for 3 years and have yet to have a singaporean student.
Niederbom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but that doesn't answer the question: Do the Malaysian, Chinese, Indonesian, Pakistani, African, and Indian students whose presence creates employment for foreign teachers usually only study traditional ESL, or is there a demand for TOEFL teachers, too?

In short, is TOEFL teaching experience valuable at all in Singapore?
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. General esl courses, ielts and academic English mainly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: