Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turning up in Milan without a job?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mag_nus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Turning up in Milan without a job? Reply with quote

How possible is it to do this? I have enough money to last me 2 or 3 months, so is it possible to find bits and bobs at different schools as well as private lessons? And then hopefully be offered a proper contract? It's a bit of a risk admittedly, but I am more than capable of ignoring the dangers! I have CELTA, 2 years experience and a BA in Italian studies. Thanks!
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick post before I go and curl up on the sofa with a good book....

Don't underestimate short term accommodation costs in Milan: I honestly haven't a clue but wouldn't want you to underestimate them unless you strike lucky. I'm sure there's work, so get your CV translated into Italian, an Italian mobile and an address, professional presentation and the rest and you could do it. Get an Italian dongle for your laptop (assumptions I know) so that you are also on email, with a sensible address...

Do you have a car, could be useful if you can just hack over from the UK/Ei with yr books and occasionally save money by sleeping on the back seat. There was a whole family sleeping in their car in my town!

Good luck!
misim16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mag_nus,

I was just wondering how this worked out for you. I'm planning on doing the same thing (arriving in Rome in February), and my credentials are almost identical (CELTA/BA Italian studies/money for 3 months) so I was hoping you could give me some sort of an idea of what to expect.

Thanks!
norwalkesl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to hear the update, too.

If one wants to do the EU without a job first then get your quals in order - a CELTA is your best option, and get 3-6 months cash saved up. Use couchsurfing and hostels and live frugally until you get a job. Unless you just want a holiday/working holiday. But I assume that you wish to stay at least a year, make a go of it. The visa- USA/EU issues will be ameliorated by the cash back up.

Having enough "see you!" money is essential. I hear all these oddball weird stories of prior teachers at my school who were clearly dirt broke and oddball shut-ins, maybe big debts back home? $3k in cash or a cc or two with friends and family to back you up and a bugout plan are absolutely essential.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visa- USA/EU issues will be ameliorated by the cash back up.

A cash backup won't help a US citizen at the airport or train station passport check, if officials discover that he/she has overstayed the allowed 90 days in the Schengen zone and has no legal work permit.
misim16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
A cash backup won't help a US citizen at the airport or train station passport check, if officials discover that he/she has overstayed the allowed 90 days in the Schengen zone and has no legal work permit.

Thanks for the the replies, but I was interested more in the job climate and generally how long it takes to find steady work with an EU passport. There are plenty of other threads that cover the legal aspects of getting work in Italy. Has anyone else tried this show-up-without-a-job-and-start-looking strategy?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Sorry to deviate.

I have several friends who were able to line up work in Italy using the show-up-and-look approach. In fact, I think it's the most common method of finding work. However, my info is out of date, as my contacts in the country all have had jobs for a couple of years now.

Others will be along shortly with more pertinent input, I think.

Again, sorry for the hijack Very Happy
mag_nus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got a job the boring way in the end, with the wonder that is tefl.com. When I posted this topic, I had all but given up hope of finding something, but Murphy came through for me and of course I got a job the very next day!

I do however plan to pound the streets of Milan in the spring-I like where I am now, but I want somewhere bigger (school and city) for next year, and since I'm nearby it seems sensible to make myself known to the schools I want to work at. I'll let you know how that goes!
Kornan DeKobb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
The visa- USA/EU issues will be ameliorated by the cash back up.

They don't take bribes? Shocked
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a reliable method of getting around the law. Some might, some don't, and it depends on an infinite number of variables. Rolling Eyes
omrishabbat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its possible though hard but if you market yourself properly you could do it.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's 'possible though hard?" If you are speaking of getting a legal work permit as a non-EU citizen in Italy, you're mistaken.

Case in point: my American friend who is fluent in Italian (has been working as an official translator Italian/English for an international drugs company for 10+ years). She lived in Rome for three scary years, working to develop contacts and local reputation. She was able to be briefly legal by working for a US based company, but this option was closed by the new Schengen zone laws that began January 2009.

Frankly, if anyone who spent the time, had the energy and iniative, local language skills, local reputation, and contacts like my friend and STILL couldn't get legal work permits.....

No, it's not just about marketing yourself well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: