Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I don't want to waste my money! Can you help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where should I spend my hard earned tips for a good tefl qualification?
Caledonian
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
TEFL Worldwide Prague
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Oxford TEFL
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
The Language House
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
ITTP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Akcent International House
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

pixiegirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: I don't want to waste my money! Can you help? Reply with quote

There are quite a few opinions up here on various schools already - some older than others. Just wondering what the current situation is? Have spent 9 months saving money, working long hours behind a bar and am VERY excited about moving to Prague to train and start teaching. Can you let me know where I should go? Any and all advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
pixiegirl Very Happy
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all ok, and will be recognsed by local employers. I think the Oxford course is supervised by Trinity - if you want to teach outside of the CR sometime, that might be the more recognised name brand. Otherwise, they're really pretty equal on this job market, I think, though Caledonian has evidently had some problems recently.....others will know more about this, probably.

You may also want to keep timing in mind. The major hiring season for Prague is end August - September, with usually a smaller wave in January. Most contracts are Sept - June, but there are always a few fresh start openings in January, when teachers didn't return from Christmas holidays and for new business contracts starting at the first of the year.
There's little work around in July and August -

Keep in mind that this is a VERY competitive teaching market. Jobs are out there, but take some doing on your part to get. You might usefully read over Chris Westergard's extremely helpful post (I'll bump it up for you) on landing a first job in Prague and what to expect from the process.

Also, the implication from your post is that you may be on something of a financial shoestring. You will want to be sure that you have enough funds not just for the course, but for a few months in addition. Keep in mind that landlords usually want one month's rent as security, and the first month's rent up front. You may also have to pay an agent's fee for accomodation. Of course, you may get lucky and have lower costs, but plan for the worst-case scenario to be on the safe side.

Most employers pay monthly, at the END of the month worked. The start-up costs for Prague (and the entire region) can be relatively high, so make sure you're covered on that!!
pixiegirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your post, spiral78. Yeah, the OxfordTEFL website says that they are externally moderated by Trinity which seems to be important if you want to leave Prague, from what others have said. Not sure I will initially but who knows. Best be covered, eh! I've heard the job market can be tough, although I live in the states I do hold a French passport (as my mother is French), so perhaps not needing a visa will help with the job hunting process? Was thinking about coming in January...you think it's wise to start the job hunt now?? As for money, thanks for the advice. Have mangaed to stack away quite a bit so it's not a major problem...just obviously don't really want to waste any of it!
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, your EU member citizenship makes things a bit easier, as schools won't have to jump through the legal hoops to hire you. There should be some work starting in January, but I expect you'll have to hoof it around quite a bit, and likely cobble together bits and pieces. I think it would take great good luck to land a full-time contract at one school, though it's probably not totally impossible. Also good that you're ok on the financial front. It sounds like your chances should be quite decent overall. Good luck!
corij

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask the school for some email addresses of recent students so you can find out what its really like. ,watch out for false email addresses !if they wont give you addresses/numbers of recent students,citing privacy, run a mile.
false promises of plush accomodation is another scam but you will only find that out once you pay the accomodation deposit

Last edited by corij on Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:42 am; edited 2 times in total
mr tree

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pixiegirl wrote:
Was thinking about coming in January...you think it's wise to start the job hunt now??

on this point specifically, there'll be no point job-hunting until you've started the course. the course is 4 weeks, so if you apply for jobs in the first week of the course, you can say to the potential employers "i'll be fully qualified and ready to go in 3 weeks". in my experience, saying any longer period of time (e.g. "i'll be fully qualified and ready to go in 2 months") is just pointless, because at the moment schools can't be exactly sure if they'll need someone in 2 months time or not - they'll just ask you to contact them again nearer the time Smile

if Oxford or IH are not significantly more expensive, they'll be the best bets, as the qualifications they offer are more reputable internationally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: