Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leeds Academy in Istanbul
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teddyjewels

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Leeds Academy in Istanbul Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of Leeds Academy or had experience with them? I was recently offered a job, but the recruiter has yet to give me any detailed information.
Shalana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They emailed me a contract with an email that said if I wanted to work for them, to sign the contract and send it back - no interview, no questions asked apparently. Doesn't sound too professional to me.
isaacbickerstaff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it! Leeds Academy is a fake employer, DON'T SEND ANY IMPORTANT DETAILS!!
Shalana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I gotta ask. What do you mean by "fake employer"?

I know they did place people at schools last year. A friend of mine worked with some of these teachers.

And another friend did a summer school for them last year and did get paid in full and on time. Of course, I have heard that they were a better employer as far as summer school went.
atoklas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theyre not a fake a employer. from what ı know they pay on tıme as promısed. they also have contracts wıth a lot of prıvate relıgıous schools, whıch are a bıt unorganızed, but the relıgıous kıds tend to be better behaved than students at most prıvate schools. THAT HAVING BEEN SAID, they don't pay very well... (what you get paıd depends a lot on where you get placed and how many hours you're assıgned... and because of that, they tend to hıre less qualıfıed people. but ıf youre a natıve speaker wıth a ba ın 'pottery' (for example) and very lıttle teachıng experıence, ıt mıght be a good gıg Wink
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are an agency!!! they will pocket about 30% of your salary, as a fee, and not help you in anyway shape or form... Definetely stay away...
tasha522

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: I worked for Leeds Reply with quote

Leeds Academi are liars and crooks. They hire teachers to work all over Turkey. I worked for them in 2009. The cancelled my contract early via email, lied to me about getting me a resident visa and because of that the Turkish government seiged by bank account because I didn't have legal rights to be in Turkey. It took me 4 months to get them to give me that account so I can pay my bills back home.
I know of over 100 teachers who was hired to work all over Turkiye last year and in May there was less than 20 of us left, all with the same experiences.
Leeds Academy is a miserable company to work for. They had a guy named Brian to give out as a reference. Brian is a business partner with the general manager at Leeds who works with them sometimes. They also ask teachers who just started working with them as a reference. Ask for a teacher that worked for them for 6 months or longer and you wont find one.
If there are any other teachers who worked for Leeds in private schools. Please speak your truth.
lov2travel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: CELTA Programs in Istanbul Reply with quote

I'm coming to work in September and am going to get my 120 CELTA certificate for easier job hunting in the future and per agreement with my upcoming employer in exchange for a higher salary.

My question is, there are MANY programs for this. Can anybody recommend any programs/schools/etc

I will be working 9-4 every day so will need an evening program that I can study with.

Thanks in advance.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITI is best
lmsunshine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

@lov2travel, are you going to istanbul to work for leeds?
lexharvey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friend has worked for them last year and is again this year. he has had no problems with them. They have offered me a job but I am trying to make sure I get a work visa as apparently it is up to the individual school. They seem to be recruiting more people this year and perhaps are a little unorganised...?
lov2travel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imsunshine@ yes I'll be coming to work through Leeds Academy.
cassie1211

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a winter program with them and unorganized is an understatement. There were no materials and no plan. It was chaos. Getting paid was a hassle too. I have one friend who did a contract with them, and she said they were totally useless when she needed anything. My best advice is to not be afraid to come here and get a job. You will be working in a week or less if you just get out there. They take a lot of your pay, and place you at far away schools. They is way easier money to be made.
lov2travel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh for a second I thought you were referring to Wattsenglish Podebrady in Czech Republic. I just got back from their summercamp and had all the same issues you mentioned.

I just signed a contract with Leeds and have an apartment in a convenient location. I haven't experienced any problems yet. They've been reasonable about contract negotiations and nothing seems amiss. Hoping it all goes well (crosses fingers)
beingme08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend and I are going to work for Leeds. We arrive on Tuesday with our fingers crossed as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: