Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another thread of "I need info on teaching in Egypt&quo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElAvilaMahoney

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Another thread of "I need info on teaching in Egypt&quo Reply with quote

Okay sooo let me see try and find out where to start off from.

I'm a 26 year old, male American, without a college degree. I have a couple years of university but I decided to drop out a few years ago so that I can work and travel.

At the moment I am in Alexandria, Egypt and I really like it here. I want to stay for a while and see what happens. I'm really keen on learning Arabic, (I already speak Spanish fluently and a bit of Portuguese). I have a few Egyptian friends here that have helped me find an apartment in the cheap range, about 600 (Miami)-700 (Cleopatra) LE. My Arabic is getting better each day, anyways, I'm going off on a tangent.

Okay, so basically I want to work here in Alex and I'm not quite sure how or where to start. I have taught English before, to Koreans in Guatemala actually. It didn't involve alot of preparation work, it was 1 on 1 classes at a language school and basically I was a conversation teacher. I'd like to work at a school here but I'm not sure if I am barking up the wrong tree or not. Is it possible to get a job without a BA? What are the minimum requirements? Would it be possible to get a job solely as a native English speaker??

Sorry to start a new thread but after perusing other people's posts I see that I am in a boat of my own what without having much in the way of diploma's from universities.

Oh by the way I did get an i-to-i online TEFL in 2007, but I am assuming that holds no weight in the TESL world and was a waste of $600.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. If possible can you contact me at my email? [email protected]

Thanks for your time,
Brendan
ElAvilaMahoney

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if I may add:

Working here won't be about earning buku dollars or LE. I really only need money to get by, already I have found that Egypt is pretty cheap. I'd be happy earning 5000-6000 LE a month to be honest, (although I have a feeling a few people on the board will be laughing at that comment/desire!).

Like I said I already have an apartment squared away and I can eat cheap here. My only concern is paying my bills back home which are in the neighborhood of $350/month.

Thanks again,
Brendan
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your chances with no experience or educational credentials of getting that kind of money are... slim and none.

Private lessons? If you can work with kids, there are usually more than enough students wanting lessons. But I can't see how you will earn enough to pay that $350 a month bill back home and still support yourself. That is around 2000 EP.

All you can do is look around... talk to the schools... you are going to have to really hustle.

Good Luck

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: