Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SHARJAH INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY - Honorable mention (NOT)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeacherABC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: SHARJAH INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY - Honorable mention (NOT) Reply with quote

I was browsing the comments on ESL Cafe and I was not surprised to see that there was nothing said about Sharjah Institute of Technology....It is obvious that no one will post anything due to the restrictive and threatening environment along with totally incompetent internal management. It is not a secret that the staff is scared to death of what the management might do it �anyone talks�.
I am no longer working there, but I feel very concerned for the students and staff that remain there. This place has top notch facilities that could hold its own in comparison to any western college campus, however the quality of the education (to be fair -in my opinion) is absolutely low standard. SIT has some great teachers who are treated like servants and (as I have observed/and been told) working under what has been called "A warning letter" contract.
SIT should have an honorable mention (NOT) and the staff who are working under these conditions to educate the students TRULY deserve the utmost respect. Anyone who could stay working in this environment and under this management deserves kudos.
My best wishes to the teaching staff at SIT. I know most of you are looking for work outside SIT, and I pray that you find it.
I have faith that once some management changes happen, this will be an absolutely top quality school and staff and students will be proud to be associated with this institute�.but until then�?????

[b]unconfirmed quote[/b] - [i](when SIT ads on the Sharjah taxi had the name ot the school spelled wrong)[/i]
[b]"That's ok, no one speaks English anyway...No body will notice"[/b]
secretsquirrel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My partner has a colleague who works there, and can confirm all of the above. At present most of the teachers there are looking for alternative employment, but fear the lack of an LONO would sink their chances.

The way to go is via the web. Click on the www link below for a good example (not mine, btw) of how to go about exposing your employer.
Sheikh N Bake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On other threads people are saying that Letters of No Objection are no longer required for professionals in the UAE.
secretsquirrel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, SnB, I heard that too, but I've seen no evidence of it yet. I mean, who actually believes what they hear (and read?!) in this part of the world, eh?!
TeacherABC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: More SHARJAH INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY Reply with quote

"Click on the www link below for a good example (not mine, btw) of how to go about exposing your employer."
What link do you mean? As far as the school being a place where the teachers are working on "Warning Letters" (The contract provided by SIT-named so by SIT Staff) even more important is the teens that are being taught in the Men's (boys) Division. These students are getting absolute crap education and I have experienced personaly, teachers being "encouraged" to pass students who can not even come close to meeting the minimum pass mark, The managment (believe it or not, an English man) seems to only care about a high percentage of distinction grades in the Btec units....it doesnt matter that the students are not doing the work on their own. This school is BROKEN and NEEDS new management NOW. The students are suffering and it seems that the idiots who are given power only care about running a little kingdom...giving warning letters, threatening teachers ...etc. It is so bad, most of the teachers are blaming the lower managers for one of the teachers heart attack...thats a different story (to be fair, this might not have anything to do with it...or it might)
SIT needs the Shj Chamber and the Shj Govt to change this place now-for the sake of the students and the future of these boys education. This is not England, Egypt or anywhere...it's UAE. All the forigners can leave with money in there pocket and in one way it doesn't matter what is left behind. HOWEVER if you work in education at any level, there is a responsibility to the individual and the growth of the country.
WAKE UP
helenl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you look at the bottom of that poster's posting you will see a www link button - click on it
TeacherABC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link SS....it seems a bit harsh (I don't know those people). However I do want to quote the following from the blog - The Theory X seems to fit SIT to a "T" I am sure anyone at SIT would relate to it.

Theory X
In this theory, which has been proven counter-effective in most modern practice, management assumes employees are inherently lazy and will avoid work if they can and that they inherently dislike work. As a result of this, management believes that workers need to be closely supervised and comprehensive systems of controls developed. A hierarchical structure is needed with narrow span of control at each and every level. According to this theory, employees will show little ambition without an enticing incentive program and will avoid responsibility whenever they can. According to Michael J. Papa, if the organizational goals are to be met, theory X managers rely heavily on threat and coercion to gain their employee's compliance. Beliefs of this theory lead to mistrust, highly restrictive supervision, and a punitive atmosphere. The Theory X manager tends to believe that everything must end in blaming someone. He or she thinks all prospective employees are only out for themselves. Usually these managers feel the sole purpose of the employee's interest in the job is money. They will blame the person first in most situations, without questioning whether it may be the system, policy, or lack of training that deserves the blame. A Theory X manager believes that his or her employees do not really want to work, that they would rather avoid responsibility and that it is the manager's job to structure the work and energize the employee.

WOW...now that sound bang on!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is old management theory from the 60's!! Goes with Theory Y... and the reality that the world is somewhere in between.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: