Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interview with ETA for job in Thailand

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MtroidPrncss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Interview with ETA for job in Thailand Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have a Skype interview tomorrow night with ETA for a four-month teaching job in Thailand. I'm curious what sorts of questions they ask and what the interview is like, and if anyone knows if they expect me to ask questions as well. Thank you!
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is ETA? Don't think I have heard of that outfit? Agency? Language School? TEFL course?

I would hope you would have some questions if applying for a job overseas. Visas, accommodations, job expectations, levels taught, students ability, textbook and resources available, working hours vs. teaching hours, extra curricular work required, overtime availability, work permit provided, A/C in classrooms, etc. etc.

(Could be a good sticky for new teachers - questions to ask in an interview or any potential EFL employer/agency).
MtroidPrncss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had my interview and was accepted by the agency. However, they told me I have to pay a 50 pound fee. Does this immediately make them not legitimate? They seem legitimate to me in all other aspects, and I really liked my interviewer. ETA stands for Experience Teaching Abroad, and here is their website: MOD EDIT Thank you for the help!
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MtroidPrncss wrote:
I just had my interview and was accepted by the agency. However, they told me I have to pay a 50 pound fee. Does this immediately make them not legitimate? They seem legitimate to me in all other aspects, and I really liked my interviewer. ETA stands for Experience Teaching Abroad, and here is their website: MOD EDIT Thank you for the help!

Sounds bad already.
NEVER pay to find a job.
The schools pay the recruiter to find suitable talent.

Any agency that asks you for a fee to find you a job is a scam at best.

But if you have extra money you can send me 25 pound and I will promise to
try to find you a great paying job with all the benefits you could ever ask for.

(not promising I will ever be able to deliver, but I promise I will look).

MtroidPrncss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would they go to the trouble of interviewing me if it's a scam? I read all the fine print on the form and it still sounds legitimate after that. Does the 50 pound fee seriously make it absolutely not legitimate?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MtroidPrncss wrote:
Why would they go to the trouble of interviewing me if it's a scam? I read all the fine print on the form and it still sounds legitimate after that. Does the 50 pound fee seriously make it absolutely not legitimate?

Let me give you an example:

I recruit for a school. I advertise on some ESL website.

I get 500 applicants (for one or 2 positions).
They each send me 50 pounds.
2 get placed.
498 get promises that if I can sell them off somewhere else, then I will.

I get 25,000 quid in my bank and if I am offshore from them I am virtually untouchable for money recovery or fraud prosecution.

SEND ME MONEY. I WILL PROMISE YOU A JOB - REALLY I WILL, TRUST ME, I am a recruiter and I have a website that looks pretty. I called to interview you so I must be legit.

NEVER PAY A RECRUITER FOR A JOB. You may pay a dispatch agency AFTER they place you (bad idea but semi-legit) and you start to get paid...

but NEVER, NEVER, NEVER pay for a job before you get hired, start work and get paid.

And, as a side note, recruiters charging job seekers for finding them a job is illegal in many countries for just this reason. Recruiters get paid by the employer (cash on delivery - the employer pays after the employee starts work), NOT THE JOB SEEKER paying the recruiter.

But you can still send me 25 pound cause I will find you a GREAT job. Really I will. (something like send 50 pound to some guy in Nigeria (for processing fees) and he will forward 5 million pounds to you as the long lost relative of some dead, rich family.

MtroidPrncss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing some serious research, it's pretty clear this place is legitimate. Why are you so absolutely certain any agency that asks for a cent is going to be a scam? As you said, the employer pays after the employee starts work, so honestly it makes sense to me that they want to make sure their recruits are serious about this.

Last edited by MtroidPrncss on Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
NigerianWhisper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good companies, schools and recruiting agencies do NOT ask for up-front fees.
MtroidPrncss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I seem stubborn, but I fail to see why this is an end-all be-all truth. Basically, does anyone ACTUALLY know anything about this agency in particular?
NigerianWhisper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know anything about them and never heard of them.

I note that they make no mention of the Work Permit, just the fact that you will have a B Visa that you can use every 90 days.

I would ask if they supply the required paperwork in order to obtain a work permit once in Thailand.

If they are genuine then they are also new to this business. The problem now will be that they do not have 2 years financial accounts as a company in order to legitamately be able to supply that paperwork.

Final decision on the WP rests with the Ministry of Labour.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: