Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20 hrs/week?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: 20 hrs/week? Reply with quote

On a student Visa, i could work 20 hours per week. Or so I've read.

Simple question: Is that enough to get by on in Paris, outside the city centre, say 12th or 14th districts? Perhaps farther? At all?

Follow up question: Are there ways to legally supplement your income on a student visa?
riverboat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be really really hard without some savings to help you along. Or unless you lived really frugally.

If you worked 20 hours per week and earned 18 euros per hour, you'd earn 360 euros gross. I don't know what the tax situation is with a student visa, but in temrs of the taxes that I have deducted at source from my paypacket in Paris, not including any form of income tax, it would be more like 280 euros.

(By the way, in the world of English teaching here, you'd be lucky to find a job that guarantees you 20 hours per week. It's more likely to be highly variable, ie some weeks your language school might only be able to give you 10 hours of teaching. If you have to fit teaching in around your studying, ie you're not always available, it's going to be even harder to reach a quota of 20 hours per week. Also remember on days/weeks you don't work, ie perhaps over Christmas or during the summer, you won't get paid anything but will still have to pay rent)

Outgoings: Minimum 400 euros per month for a small room in shared flat. If you want to live on your own, think more like 600 euros per month minimum for a small studio. (These cheap rents are usually available by looking at and responding to Francophone rental websites, rather than the typical places that advertise properties to incoming foreigners/students where the prices are much higher). Travel card is about 75 euros per month, but your language school will probably pay a portion of that. Going to bars is very expensive, unless you just drink wine all the time (any type of spirit or beer is usually 5 euros+). Then there's grocery shopping, eating in restaurants (unavoidable), mobile phone costs, cinema/shows, costs associated with studying, perhaps trips home and/or travel within France. Buying anything not associated with day to day living or having a basic social life (ie clothes, cosmetics, CDs/DVDs, material type stuff) would definitely be impossible.
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I should have specified, (and I realize this is an ESL webiste so I SHOULD have been clearer) but the work probably wouldnt be teaching ESL/TEFL. It might just be an SIMC job waiting tables or something.

Even less likely.

I'm willing to live entirely off of student loans while in Paris though. Do American organizations like FAFSA offer aid to international schools??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: