Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4 nights in Prague

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: 4 nights in Prague Reply with quote

Forget trip advisor etc, I thought I would ask the knowledgeable locals on Daves instead!

My son and I are having a short 4 night trip to Prague next month,and will be staying at a hotel on Wenzigova (I understand its not an ideal location but thats cool, the price was right)

We will arrive monday evening, leave friday morning, so have 3 days to enjoy in Prague. My son is 19, and as well as wandering around and seeing the sights, we would also like to find some nice bars for a relaxing beer and game of pool, some sensible places to eat which have a) atmosphere and b) reasonable food that wont break the bank.

Being a father and son trip, we wont be likely to be getting hammered and going to clubs etc, just chilling out and enjoying the place really. Any recommendations for places to go, things I should eat etc. I dont know Prague at all, so would need some fairly clear directions and addresses for anything you can recommend.

Cheers - Nick
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best places in prague in U Zlateho Tygra. www.uzlatehotygra.cz. They have a map, beer list and menu on their website. It's located about 3 minutes from Charles Bridge, so you shouldn't have any problems finding it. Beer costs 38Kc/0.5L, which is expensive for the Czech Republic, but equates to about 2USD. They also have traditional Czech food starting at about 120Kc. Get there early, though, as it's a popular place that fills up quickly. If you show up late, you might be standing the whole time.
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats one place to try, thanks. Was looking at the websites map ... is it a fair trek from where I am? Wenzigova looks a fair bit to the south, but we are both quite active and are happy to trek around the city. Is it safe to do the same at night?
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be pretty close to the metro station I.P. Pavlova. From there go to Staromestska, and it's a short 5-10min walk. If I remember correctly I.P. Pavlova is on the red line, and Staromestska is on the green one.

This is actually the area of Prague I stayed in when I was visiting and didn't have friends in town to crash with. (I actually lived in Liberec, but visited Prague once every two months or so).

Should you be stranded late at night you can safely walk home, but it's a bit of a trek. There are also night trams and buses that run every hour or so. As for walking, I've never felt the least bit unsafe walking around Prague, no matter what time of day.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're near IP Pavlova, don't miss walking around at Vysehrad. It's an ancient fortress and cathedral area. The Plains of Pankrac were the scene of some important battles in the Hussite wars, though I don't think the fortress was considered particularly successful. Good photography opps, as well.

The Czech National cemetery is there, definitely worth a stroll. There's also a little-known tour under the casemates, where some of the original statues from the Charles Bridge are stored. It's short, but quite interesting, I think.

It's a nice walk from Vysehrad down through the Nusle Valley to the river, and along the river to the old town. You'll pass some of the famous cubist buildings, and, again, great photo opps. Most people don't walk quite so far, so you won't find throngs of tourists, but it's really less than an hour stroll.

I second smithrn on the safety of walking around Prague at any time of the day.

Enjoy!
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know the streets are safe. I imagine doing a lot of strolling, so will try and czech out the places you mention (bad pun I know). Its a father and son trip so looking forward to some nice bonding time too!
mr tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you mention pool, there's a couple of places near the centre (one v.close to Wenceslas Square, though i can never find the place myself(!!), and Cafe Louvre, near Narodni Trida - it's a bit pricey by Czech standards but might be fine for you)

personally though i could recommend the billiard club near Jiriho z Podebrad metro station - http://www.billiard-ripska.cz/?page=intro&lang=cs&HASH=48qm3p3ejsujf88t1fn5htim64, maybe combined with a decent meal and beer before/after at the Staropramen chain pubs "Potrefena Husa" - http://www.potrefenahusa.cz/pp/jnp/cz/ph/restaurace/praha_vinohrady-kontakt.html

(the staropramen website might ask you to confirm your date of birth before letting you in, in which case you might need to select the pub again - it's listed under Potrefena Husa, "Praha Vinohrady", then go to the Kontakt page to find a map)

it's a shame both sites seem to be in Czech but they'll be able to deal with you in English in the places themselves (Vinohrady is a popular ex-pat area)

both places might be a bit busy on Friday/Saturday night but i've never had too much trouble getting a table in either Smile

there's plenty of decent little restaurants in Prague, trying to think of some others for you................
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr Tree, who needs a 'rough guide' book when you have access to the ear and eyes of a city via its EFL community!
lynchem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 nights in Prague Reply with quote

[
My son and I are having a short 4 night trip to Prague next month,and will be staying at a hotel on Wenzigova (I understand its not an ideal location but thats cool, the price was right)

We will Cheers - Nick[/quote]

YES THAT WILL BE GREAT........ LOOK FORWARD TO IT......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: