Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Bratislava/Slovakia - Question about timing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Oblique Speech

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Bratislava/Slovakia - Question about timing Reply with quote

This question may have been asked and answered elsewhere, but after perusing past threads, I didn't see my specific question discussed in the context of Slovakia. I'm planning on going to Bratislava this year to look for work teaching English (obviously), and have been considering arriving around mid-August. My understanding (and indeed, I've seen it stated here about other countries) is that most language schools do their recruiting at the end of August and early September. So, generally, is this true in Bratislava as well? I'm currently mapping out plans and on the verge of booking airfare, so I'd just like to get a good sense of when it's a good time to arrive. (Apologies if I somehow missed this being discussed to death in countless other threads - links to said threads are greatly appreciated).
Message Oblique Speech

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone? Perhaps I should post this in the general Europe forum?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slovakia generally runs on the same time schedule as the rest of the region. Yes, it's generally true that a late August/early September job search should be fruitful.

Good luck
Kofola

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Traditional language schools tend to operate for 9 or 10 months of the year and so take on the bulk of their new staff in September. These schools also recruit from abroad. There are companies that operate all year round, though and have no specific hiring season.

Thus, there are prob more jobs around then, but it's not impossible to get work at other times of the year.

Hope it helps.
Message Oblique Speech

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, that answers my question!
MsDooLittle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Kofola says, hiring is year round. Try to get in touch with the language schools before you go to set up meetings/interviews.... eg. British Council, International House, and the Canadian school on Obchodna (sorry I can't remember its name but its mentioned in previous posts) then when you're there you'll find more. Or sometimes there are ads in the English newspaper, slovakspectator.sk.

Good luck!
MsD
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The so-called �Canadian school on Obchodna� hires year round because of its high turnover of teachers. It�s been blacklisted on other websites & for good reason. If you want to work in Bratislava, you�re better off with the British Council or IH.
Message Oblique Speech

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this is all quite helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: