Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any concerns over inflation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankly_norse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Any concerns over inflation? Reply with quote

Anyone care to comment on this?

http://www.thanhniennews.com/2010/Pages/20100826221544.aspx

I'm about to take the leap (CELTA cert in HCMC) but the current state of the global economy is making me increasingly nervous about leaving my current situation.

Thanks in advance for any opinions / thoughts offered!
H5N1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any concerns over inflation? Reply with quote

frankly_norse wrote:
Anyone care to comment on this?

http://www.thanhniennews.com/2010/Pages/20100826221544.aspx

I'm about to take the leap (CELTA cert in HCMC) but the current state of the global economy is making me increasingly nervous about leaving my current situation.

Thanks in advance for any opinions / thoughts offered!

I read the article that you linked.

I'm no expert on economic policy, but it seems the authorities devalued the Dong once again to spur exports. I believe this is the 3rd time in a year or so.

As for prices and inflation, I have noticed prices in HCMC going up a lot for many things over the last few years. IMO, HCMC is not a cheap city.

You note that you are "nervous about leaving your current situation."

If I may ask, are you in a job you like or consider good at the moment in your home-country?

Or, are you having doubt about if you want to teach?

Feel free to post more info.
frankly_norse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I guess I would consider my current employment "good" in terms of relative stability. As for certainty, well, I'm still reeling a bit from an article I read recently that predicts hyperinflation in the US, occurring either this fall or next at the latest. If I can find the link, I'll post it if you're interested. I don't give the prediction all that much credence, but still - I'd hate to leave the motherland for parts unknown and wind up penniless because my savings and 401k went to zero overnight.

As for liking my current job, well that's another matter. In fact, it's one impetus for taking the leap - at 52, I've pretty much had it with being a low level techie drone for the corporate interests. As for teaching, no, no doubts about that. Haven't done it professionally - did it as a English graduate, taught English 101 (composition) to incoming freshmen for 4 or 5 quarters. Enjoyed everything about it except having to put a grade on the papers. Neutral

Anyway, I'm going to take the CELTA in HCMC (nothing signed yet) and will start the job hunt after. Would like to try VN as a starter but any suitable job w/ some sort of appeal anywhere in SEA. Well, anywhere that malaria is not an issue. Shocked
H5N1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankly_norse wrote:
.....I'm still reeling a bit from an article I read recently that predicts hyperinflation in the US, occurring either this fall or next at the latest. If I can find the link, I'll post it if you're interested. I don't give the prediction all that much credence, but still - I'd hate to leave the motherland for parts unknown and wind up penniless because my savings and 401k went to zero overnight.

There has been constant debate and disagreement among economists (as usual) about potentil deflation, hyper-inflation, and high inflation.

For those concerned, if they want to act, they can invest in non-US dollar assets, be it foreign currency holdings, precious metal, real-estate or other investments. I don't what to do, but no one is very bullish on the financial markets or the greendback.

Whether you stay in the US or come to teach in VN, you can decide what to do, if anything with your 401K and other investments.

Quote:

Anyway, I'm going to take the CELTA in HCMC (nothing signed yet) and will start the job hunt after. Would like to try VN as a starter but any suitable job w/ some sort of appeal anywhere in SEA. Well, anywhere that malaria is not an issue. Shocked

Go for it and best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: