Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International House and Wages
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: International House and Wages Reply with quote

I've just seen the ad for IH Koszalin........1,600 Zl per month ie 53 Zl per day is a disgrace and not a living wage in a country that costs the same as the UK for many things. Anybody who applies for that is a mug. Would you work in the UK for 11 quid a day or the US for 16 $? I didn't think so. These people traffickers should be exposed for what they are....total scumbags. Screw teaching development....you gotta eat first. As this is a forum we should start an informative thread on schools and what they pay, based on our knowledge of the current Polish market. Now that would be a TEFL blacklist.

350 Quid a month is simply disgusting. I'm speechless.
wojbrian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think wages are going down. It's a joke what I have been offered this time around. Most of the schools are using the supposed VAT tax as an excuse not to pay.

Even if they supply housing it is about 500-1000 to low.
dynow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's textbook Poland.

always afraid to spend money to make money. companies in this country always see a zloty saved as a positive for the company, no matter what, but poles here are used to this shite business model.

think of customer service here. it is terrible. but, the poles expect it when they go out so nothing changes. why complain to the manager if the next restaurant, the next bar, the next whatever is going to be ta sama historia.

speaking of the U.K., i was offered a week's worth of work there last month, all expenses paid, food allowance, full work load all week....you know what the pay was? 8.50 pounds per lesson. i graciously declined and told them i get paid better in Poland.
hrvatski

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFL in Australia pays well Very Happy
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: International House and Wages Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
I've just seen the ad for IH Koszalin........1,600 Zl per month ie 53 Zl per day is a disgrace and not a living wage in a country that costs the same as the UK for many things. Anybody who applies for that is a mug. Would you work in the UK for 11 quid a day or the US for 16 $? I didn't think so. These people traffickers should be exposed for what they are....total scumbags. Screw teaching development....you gotta eat first. As this is a forum we should start an informative thread on schools and what they pay, based on our knowledge of the current Polish market. Now that would be a TEFL blacklist.

What's the big deal? If you're careless enough to accept a job like that you deserve to be making a crap wage. And how is IH's offer any worse than, say, Biedronka paying their Polish employees 6.50zl an hour? There are a whole lot of Polish people who manage to live on well under 1600/mo.

Franky, I don't understand your outrage, sharter, at IH rooking some noobies for a few zl. Fair play, IH

Of couse, it's really all about the promised 'perks' big chains like IH dangle in front of new teachers: provided accommodation, processing visas and work permits, "teacher development," Polish lessons, help setting up a bank account, airport pickup, back rubs, yadda, yadda, yadda.

These things are difficult to pin a price on. They also seem very precious to someone who's about to take the plunge and relocate to a scary, alien country.

This I will remember if I ever start up a lang school and need fresh meat for the grinder. Wink
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK let's be fair here. Koszalin pay for the flat and utility bills - lets say 700 for a flat and 300 for bills. That's 2600. That's tax free. How much would you need to earn to have the same amount in your pocket if you had your own business and paid 800zl in ZUS plus tax. 4000zl a month? Not forgetting the accountant and the travel costs if you're going to privates.

So, IH gives the equivalent of someone independent earning 4000zl plus peace of mind, training, hassle free arrival, travel costs to outside contracts etc. Yes, you could earn more but Koszalin are also saying that that's for 24 x 45 minutes a week. Plus four weeks paid holiday a year (and bank holidays) which you wouldn't get if you were independent. Plus computers with internet and a well stocked resources room probably. (I've never see IH Koszalin but I guess it's similar to other IH schools).

It's not brilliant but it's not as bad as it sounds.
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: ahem Reply with quote

I worked for IH in Poland 14 years ago. The marketing bumph described Bydgoszcz as the 'Venice of Northern Poland', the flat was a shared dump beyond the last tram stop, the teaching development was hit and miss and one month the pay didn't even cover the phone bill. Forget travelling.

Even if it's 4,000Zl a month....that is not a living wage in Poland, which for the benefit of Americans, is in the EU. You won't pop round to babcia's twice a week for dinner or to the parents (to live). Everyone from the B and B to the taxi driver will try to screw you.Women will expect you to pay for them.

They pay 55 Zl a day......that's a meal and a beer in Sphinx or 2 JD and cokes. Multikino is 23 Zl in Poznan. That's wage oblivion.

Promising newbies all sorts for a crap wage is good business. but it's unethical. Period.

I've been in the Middle East ever since I had a Polish son, so maybe my perspective is a bit more long term.
maniak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ahem Reply with quote

sharter wrote:

Even if it's 4,000Zl a month....that is not a living wage in Poland,

I wouldnt go as far saying something like that, but 4000zl net for one person aint what it used to be a few years ago. Enough to enter a lower middle class lifestyle, but forget kids, a nice apartment, or a car thats got less than 5 years.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: ahem Reply with quote

sharter wrote:

Even if it's 4,000Zl a month....that is not a living wage in Poland,

I'd say 4000/mo. is a livable wage here in Warsaw. True, you're not going to be enjoying too many JD's and cokes or posh restaurants. You've got to find other things to do!

I'm sure 4000zl goes a lot further in Koszalin.
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re Mastershake Reply with quote

Sphinx is a cheap restaurant in Poznan...last time I was there I had fish and chips in a milk bar and it was 25Zl. So if eating out is a no no and drinking is off limits and cinemas are too expensive then pray tell...what exactly are you gonna do in mid-February in Koszalin? Surf the internet? Forget taking a girl out. Erm...forget footy in the park or travelling to Zakopane for a week's skiing. That's if you're single.

If you have a kid, Lego is 300 a box, a pram's a cool 1,500 and a good cot is about 2,000. School will cost 300 a month and winter meds a fortune, not to mention clothes etc.

Without support, a normal life is unaffordable long term...you'll see.
greggie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: International House and Wages Reply with quote

sharter wrote:

I agree with all that was said, i worked at IH Koszalin 5 years ago, and it seems that the salary is still as dismal as always, directors interested in one thing only,PROFIT, 5 years and not a single payrise,now that is disgusting, and im speechless now! as for the flats, they arent anything special and i remember if you lived outside their accommodation they gave you 500pln, i wonder if its still the same, cause im sure 500pln now wouldnt rent you a box somewhere, this has to be blacklisted!
greggie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt Bilko wrote:
OK let's be fair here. Koszalin pay for the flat and utility bills - lets say 700 for a flat and 300 for bills. That's 2600. That's tax free. How much would you need to earn to have the same amount in your pocket if you had your own business and paid 800zl in ZUS plus tax. 4000zl a month? Not forgetting the accountant and the travel costs if you're going to privates.

So, IH gives the equivalent of someone independent earning 4000zl plus peace of mind, training, hassle free arrival, travel costs to outside contracts etc. Yes, you could earn more but Koszalin are also saying that that's for 24 x 45 minutes a week. Plus four weeks paid holiday a year (and bank holidays) which you wouldn't get if you were independent. Plus computers with internet and a well stocked resources room probably. (I've never see IH Koszalin but I guess it's similar to other IH schools).

It's not brilliant but it's not as bad as it sounds.

If you check the Advert its 26x45mins, against the 1600pln that means 15pln an hour, and i think their staff arent even allowed to do private lessons. I really feel sorry for any mug who applies to go there or is working there!it is human trafficking, no matter what training they provide, people still need to survive!
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ahem Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:

I'd say 4000/mo. is a livable wage here in Warsaw. True, you're not going to be enjoying too many JD's and cokes or posh restaurants. You've got to find other things to do!

You know, I usually agree with you MasterShake, but on this one I am a wee bit perplexed.

I cannot understand how 4k could be a livable wage in Warsaw right now. I mean, just look around, this is an expensive city! More so than many US cities and more so than say Liverpool or leeds IMHO (the recent listings suggested such too).

I would say 6k is the minimum to get by with at least some entertainment and a decent pad.

Are our lifestyles that different? Could be..
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Erm Reply with quote

My accommodation cost 3000 zl for 14 days, 10 of which were in a hostel. Son's winter boots and jacket were another 1000. That's before the flight, toys,child support and my fun Wink
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwinCenter wrote:

[/quote]Are our lifestyles that different? Could be..[quote]

as i've said before, if you doubled my monthly income, it would change little to nothing regarding my lifestyle or quality of living in Poland.

For me, the fact that I live in Poland essentially dictates my lifestyle and quality of living. no amount of extra zloties in my bank account every month is going to:

-fix the roads here

-make the pizza or chinese food or mexican food taste any better

-put sports on TV that I actually give a flyin' toss about

-remove the grim faces on the streets

-keep the old babcias from cutting me off when i stand on line

-change Poland's never ending depressing winters

-improve customer service or cut out any bit of bureaucracy that runs rampant in Poland.

I could go on and on and on.....

Just being here is most of the problem. If I made twice as much money, I wouldn't even know what to spend it on inside Poland. I guess I'd spend it on vacations OUTSIDE of Poland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: