Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are salaries actually going down?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Are salaries actually going down? Reply with quote

September of 2010, teachers' hourly rates were reduced 2-5 zloty at Bell Warsaw.

A few weeks ago IH advertised a fully qualified DoS position in Koszalin paying a whopping 2000zl/mo.

Yesterday The English School of Koszalin advertised a job paying 640zl/mo.

Is it just me or are salaries actually going down in Poland? I remember a few years ago, there was no shortage of jobs paying in the 2-3 thousand range.

Maybe it's just Koszalin?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just Poland (or Koszalin). I've seen some shockingly low wages offered in the Czech Republic recently as well. It's becoming something like a volunteer job, almost Shocked
eurobound

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Are salaries actually going down? Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:

Yesterday The English School of Koszalin advertised a job paying[b] 640zl/mo[/b].

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=48062

This is their advertisement. I read it as meaning 640 per week based on 16 hours per week, but I could be wrong.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Are salaries actually going down? Reply with quote

eurobound wrote:
Master Shake wrote:

Yesterday The English School of Koszalin advertised a job paying[b] 640zl/mo[/b].

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=48062

This is their advertisement. I read it as meaning 640 per week based on 16 hours per week, but I could be wrong.

You're right. My mistake. So this isn't so bad at 2500zl/mo.
gibon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Are salaries actually going down? Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:

You're right. My mistake. So this isn't so bad at 2500zl/mo.

But still pretty bad!
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one should be under any pretense, IMHO, that salaries are dropping everywhere! Everyone and their sister seems to be doing a TEFL course here in the UK right now.

Whoever said that TEFL is becoming a kind of volunteer job is bang on the money with that one; I have been in the game for 15 years now and it looks like the industry is not only becoming less regulated worldwide, but the desire to escape abroad and teach has never been stronger, coupled with student numbers slowly subsiding worldwide on the whole (The British Council has produced some material on that I believe).

I think NOVA crashing in Japan really sent shock waves through TEFL inc. and may have sent salaries down further indirectly.

I may be wrong, but from where I am standing, it doesn't look too rosy for newcomers, unless you just wanna have a laugh for a year or too then do something else perhaps.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwinCentre wrote:
No-one should be under any pretense, IMHO, that salaries are dropping everywhere! Everyone and their sister seems to be doing a TEFL course here in the UK right now.

Whoever said that TEFL is becoming a kind of volunteer job is bang on the money with that one; I have been in the game for 15 years now and it looks like the industry is not only becoming less regulated worldwide, but the desire to escape abroad and teach has never been stronger, coupled with student numbers slowly subsiding worldwide on the whole (The British Council has produced some material on that I believe).

I think NOVA crashing in Japan really sent shock waves through TEFL inc. and may have sent salaries down further indirectly.

I may be wrong, but from where I am standing, it doesn't look too rosy for newcomers, unless you just wanna have a laugh for a year or too then do something else perhaps.

If everyone is doing CELTA and student numbers are dropping then salaries are going to go down naturally.

This seems to contradict what you said at the beginning.
lundjstuart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes down to basic supply vs. demand.
Blasphemer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about students in Poland, given that now, on their Matura they all have to pass English. Haven't had problems with classes, quite the contrary to be honest. I'll admit, salary negotiations are becoming rather annoying to say the least.
Janek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: