Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

esl jobs in san francisco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
my_way

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: esl jobs in san francisco Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been living/working overseas for the last 5 years, the last 3 in Tokyo. My husband and I are going to be moving to sf next year and I would really like to continue teaching English.
I don't have any certifications but have a BA.
I'm curious about what kinds of jobs are available in sf and what kind of qualifications are usually necessary.
I would be willing to go back to school, and have considered the MATESOL, but that will take a good 3 years as I will need to work.
Any other degree/cert programs that might be good?
Any info greatly appreciated...thanks!
natsume

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I imagine your prospects will be bleak. When I got my TESOL certificate at UC Berkeley over four years ago, I met many ESL professionals in the Bay Area, and the general trend is a 6 year post-MA string of part-time positions until one can land a tenured job at a JC. One of the realities of the Bay Area is that due to the saturation of the market, usually it is local experience that counts first, which is only fair. When I told people I was going overseas, it was pointed out to me that most (pre-MA) overseas experience will not count when/if I ever were to enter the market down the road. This was all before the economy tanked.

If you don't necessarily need to earn tons, one option besides an MA would be to get certified as I did, and then earn a California Adult Education certificate as well, which would set you up to work in Adult Education centers, which didn't require MAs. Well, three years ago they didn't, I don't know about now.

Things are tough all over. I plan to return to California in two years, get certified as a secondary (high school) teacher, and hopefully head out into the world of International Schools in about 5 years. But as we all know, there are too many contingencies and uncertainties to count on anything as being solid. I have, however, already started the ball rolling in that direction.
my_way

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your response, it is as I expected. I think I will look into the certification as a possible way to earn some money without waiting tables or working retail again.....ugh!
I do want to go back to school and have always wanted to do social work as well, so I might decide that is a better alternative.
Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: