Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Girlfriend and I are thinking of moving to Malaysia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you consider Singapore? Much easier for you and partner to get jobs and salaries at least twice as high. Malaysia is great to visit, a beautiful country with fab food, good for getting old in. Singapore is the city to work in, and a great base for exploring Malaysia and surrounding countries.
KayuJati

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kotoko wrote:
Kayu..

What kind of qualifictions would one need to get a college job like that? Is it strict over there or would a non-masters person be able to get a decent job?

Well, I could never say 'never' but holding only a bachelors degree will limit you in the number of colleges that would hire, if any. Many locals have bachelors and the colleges are sponsoring them to study for masters and, in a few cases, for PhDs. Thus, the foreigner needs to have higher qualifications already to get hired.

I hold 2 masters and the only other foreigner at my college holds the PhD. I doubt that I would have gotten hired in the first place without a masters.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Last edited by KayuJati on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
KayuJati

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wailing_imam wrote:
Why don't you consider Singapore? Much easier for you and partner to get jobs and salaries at least twice as high. Malaysia is great to visit, a beautiful country with fab food, good for getting old in. Singapore is the city to work in, and a great base for exploring Malaysia and surrounding countries.

Certainly the best situation would be Singapore wages and Malaysian prices. One could live in Johor Baru and commute to work to Singapore every day, on a motorcylce; I can't imagine having to use a car over that bridge. Just make sure that you leave Singapore with > 3/4 tank of petrol. And leave the chewing gum back home in Malaysia. Make sure you flush those Singapore toilets....and....and....
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chewing gum is not illegal on Singapore. However, you need a doctor's prescription to buy it. This is not a bad thing when you consider the state of many pavements in Europe. Many of the admin girls hail from Johor and some do commute, but wake up well before sunrise.
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wailing_imam wrote:
Chewing gum is not illegal on Singapore. However, you need a doctor's prescription to buy it.

Are you serious about the doctor's prescription?? Of what medical use is chewing gum?? Is it akin to medical marijuana??
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has it all...

Good Korean food - CHECK!

Uni jobs in both Malaysia AND SIngapore - CHECK!

Aim for KL or Penang - CHECK! Speaking of which, I visited Ipoh and quite liked that town as well. I suppose it's a bit below the radar though. I even ate Korean food there Cool
steki47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayuJati wrote:
I should link you to some photos; a lot of young Malay women wear tight jeans, and then a head scarf. Seems to negate the reason for the scarf, eh?

Old post, but worthy of a response. I saw that in Kedah this spring. Actually rather attractive.

Interesting compromise or blend of traditional and contemporary.

Yes, I also know some links to pics.
KayuJati

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
KayuJati wrote:
I should link you to some photos; a lot of young Malay women wear tight jeans, and then a head scarf. Seems to negate the reason for the scarf, eh?

Old post, but worthy of a response. I saw that in Kedah this spring. Actually rather attractive.

Interesting compromise or blend of traditional and contemporary.

Yes, I also know some links to pics.

IMHO, Malaysia is a great place for girl watching even if half of them cover up. When I first started teaching young Malay women I thought "How am I ever going to distinguish between them?" since most of them wear the tudong (head covering). I didn't realise how much we use people's hair and ears to distinguish their looks.

But, not having hair or ears to assist in recognition, you begin to pick up clues from their faces and other ...ahhhh... parts. Embarassed It got to be that I can recognise a woman from her walk or even -with my head down- from the clop clop clop of her footsteps down the hall. (The human mind is very adaptable.) Gents, don't be fooled by the tudong, there are many beautiful women under them! The head covering really forces you to focus upon the face.

Finally, Malay women, for the most part, are really cool. They are the most collaborative, cooperative people that I have ever known anywhere.

Last edited by KayuJati on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
KayuJati

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
This thread has it all...

Good Korean food - CHECK!

Uni jobs in both Malaysia AND SIngapore - CHECK!

Aim for KL or Penang - CHECK! Speaking of which, I visited Ipoh and quite liked that town as well. I suppose it's a bit below the radar though. I even ate Korean food there Cool

Ipoh and Taiping are two of the middle size cities that I would consider living in. Ipoh has more schools to choose from, but Taiping had a couple of colleges that were wooing me at one time. (Not to teach, but to market my program to their diploma students.)
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayuJati wrote:

Finally, Malay women, for the most part, are really cool. They are the most collaborative, cooperative people that I have ever known anywhere.

When I was in Penang with my wife (hence limits to my interactions with women), a couple of Malay women start talking to us when we shared a table over ice kacang. This would be slightly unusual in Japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: