Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in Malaysia - HELP! where/how to start???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoga Chica

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Working in Malaysia - HELP! where/how to start??? Reply with quote

Im interested in looking for work in Malaysia.

Hoping someone can provide reliable feedback on the following to help with the search...

1. Better to secure a job before arrival or hit the ground running once there?

2. If I arrive w/o a job anything I should be sure to bring with me when applying for the better jobs - ie transcripts, copy of diploma, is a background check necessary?

3.Salary?? - with a Bachelor's, TEFL/TESOL degree, tons of business experience but little classroom experience what is the best salary range one can expect per month? (If being an American single female in her 30s has any bearing Id like to know too!)

4. PLEASE recommend a few good recruiters to help with the search and/or advise of reputable well-paying schools/institutes to approach directly?

5. What cities are best to concentrate on for quality jobs - KL, Penang - what about Kota Kinabalu?

6. what is the average cost of living? living simply, not into the crazy party scene and looking to save cash. decent one bedroom in safe neighborhood.

7. Is there a better time of year to look for positions or are thing available year round?

8. are most jobs one year contracts or are smaller contracts available? typical hours per week worked? 5 days a week?

9. Private Tutoring - is there much need for this to supplement income? what is a fare rate to charge?

10. Off subject - best city for active social expat scene? Is anyone aware and into Yoga - are there many studios around? where? Im a Yoga teacher as well so the balance of at least taking classes is important to keep the sanity Wink

The help is MUCH appreciated. Anything I forgot to ask - do tell! I want the good, the bad and the ugly!!

I hope to hear from anyone with good insight and experience soon!

cheers!
Yoga Chica
roamingteacher

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only replying because I know how frustrating it is to see the number of 'views' go up but nobody offering any advice. When it comes to Malaysia the general consensus (from this forum) is that it's not so easy to get work there. However, if you do a search for 'Malaysia' in the forums, you'll find the answers to many of your questions, as they've pretty much all been asked before.

I wouldn't hold my breath for many replies. While the forum users are generally helpful with requests, Malaysia questions are notoriously unanswered...

Best of luck!
BellaBrunei

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Sort of a reply Reply with quote

Hi, I got some information about Malaysian jobs through teachanywhere.com but to be honest, Malaysia was one of the places it seemed a little bit harder to source jobs through. Do you have an actual teaching degree or a TESOL certificate? Institutes might be a starting point rather than International Schools but I am definitely not an expert on that one.

Good luck!
Yoga Chica

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the honest feedback. Didnt realize it would be so difficult to look for work there until I found so little on the forum - although I have irons in the fire for other countries, Ill keep chipping away at Malaysia. I really enjoy being there, so maybe something will come through.

Appreciate the website rec as a source to start as well. To answer your questions Bella Brunei, I have my TEFL/TESOL cert (150hrs) and a bachelor's degree but no substantial classroom experience. Institutes were definitely my focus didnt think I would be qualified for Int'l schools.

any other advice is always welcome!

cheers,
Yoga Chica
scooby doo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link;

http://www.totalesl.com/job.php?action=search&start=y
KayuJati

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Working in Malaysia - HELP! where/how to start??? Reply with quote

Yoga Chica wrote:
Im interested in looking for work in Malaysia.

Hoping someone can provide reliable feedback on the following to help with the search...

1. Better to secure a job before arrival or hit the ground running once there?

I am in Year 14 of teaching in Malaysia, so I will try to answer your questions.

It is better to hit the ground running. Most teaching work is in private colleges, private university-colleges (a Malaysian invention), and private universities. To teach in the public (gov't) university, one must typically have the PhD and connections.

The largest concentration of private colleges is in Selangor (Kuala Lumpur, Petaling Jaya, Subang Jaya, Klang), with Penang a good second choice, and Johor Baru third. Still, there are branch campuses elsewhere (Kuantan, Kota Baru, Kuala Terengganu, Alor Setar) and one can find positions (and expats) there. I started in Subang Jaya and moved to Kuantan after 4 years.

Quote:

2. If I arrive w/o a job anything I should be sure to bring with me when applying for the better jobs - ie transcripts, copy of diploma, is a background check necessary?

They usually don't do background checks. If you have world-class credentials (e.g., degree from a recognized overseas university), that is usually good enough. If you can get those stamped "Certified True Copy" before bringing them here, then do it. Malaysians are big on those types of stamps.

Quote:

3.Salary?? - with a Bachelor's, TEFL/TESOL degree, tons of business experience but little classroom experience what is the best salary range one can expect per month? (If being an American single female in her 30s has any bearing Id like to know too!)

RM2500-3500 per month in Selangor, lower outside. Occasionally you will find someone making a large salary, but this is for special positions, e.g., the British Council, or some types of twinning programs when they want someone from the home country.

Quote:

4. PLEASE recommend a few good recruiters to help with the search and/or advise of reputable well-paying schools/institutes to approach directly?

Avoid recruiters. You can do it yourself. Come in on a social visa (3-month), and start doing the rounds.

Quote:

5. What cities are best to concentrate on for quality jobs - KL, Penang - what about Kota Kinabalu?

Yes, KL, Penang, and Johor Baru. Kota Kinabulu is a long way away, and is no larger than the east coast cities of Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, and Kota Baru. If interested in the beach zone, you can make a swing through the three east coast cities in a few days. I got a job in Kuantan by interviewing in Subang Jaya. I know a lady who got a job in Kuala Terengganu by showing up at that college in person. The prime jobs go to those who show up at the door, not apply from a far.

Quote:

6. what is the average cost of living? living simply, not into the crazy party scene and looking to save cash. decent one bedroom in safe neighborhood.

Rents in the Big 3 are getting a bit ridiculous. Expect to pay RM1,200 on up for an apartment or single-story house. If you can find housemates, you can get that figure down to a few hundred ringgit per month. Transport in KL area is a pain unless you live along one of the mass transit lines (Monorail, LRT). Or better yet, find an apartment close to the school that hires, and walk or motorbike to work.

In Kuantan, an entire house can be rented for RM400-500 per month; and single rooms rented for RM70-100.

Food is cheap. Transport and housing are the two big items.

Quote:

7. Is there a better time of year to look for positions or are thing available year round?

Programs start and stop year-round. Still, most colleges seem to hire in June/July and November/December as new semesters start in July/August and January.

Quote:

8. are most jobs one year contracts or are smaller contracts available? typical hours per week worked? 5 days a week?

Most are one-year contracts, sometimes two years but the second year contingent on obtaining a work permit. Usually the college will apply for the work permit, but sometimes you need to assist them especially if they have little experience with an expat lecturer.

Quote:

9. Private Tutoring - is there much need for this to supplement income? what is a fare rate to charge?

A lot of public school teachers do night-time and weekend tutoring for their secondary and primary students. I haven't seen too much demand for college-level tutoring.

Quote:

10. Off subject - best city for active social expat scene? Is anyone aware and into Yoga - are there many studios around? where? Im a Yoga teacher as well so the balance of at least taking classes is important to keep the sanity Wink

The Big 3. Johor is really not that interesting, mostly close to Sink-a-poor. KL and Penang are the places for young adults. Best city really depends upon your stage in life, I am nearing retirement so I like the east coast much better.

Quote:

The help is MUCH appreciated. Anything I forgot to ask - do tell! I want the good, the bad and the ugly!!

I hope to hear from anyone with good insight and experience soon!

cheers!
Yoga Chica

Good luck.

Teak
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Working in Malaysia - HELP! where/how to start??? Reply with quote

KayuJati wrote:
I am in Year 14 of teaching in Malaysia, so I will try to answer your questions.

It is better to hit the ground running. Most teaching work is in private colleges, private university-colleges (a Malaysian invention), and private universities. To teach in the public (gov't) university, one must typically have the PhD and connections.

The largest concentration of private colleges is in Selangor (Kuala Lumpur, Petaling Jaya, Subang Jaya, Klang), with Penang a good second choice, and Johor Baru third. Still, there are branch campuses elsewhere (Kuantan, Kota Baru, Kuala Terengganu, Alor Setar) and one can find positions (and expats) there. I started in Subang Jaya and moved to Kuantan after 4 years.

That's for the great uni-related info.

Perhaps it's better for another thread. But curious what kind of conditions most uni jobs offer in Malaysia.

Expected teaching hours, research/presentation stipulations, how much time off between semesters, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: