Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

e-readers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steki47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
3. access to both English and Japanese books

Good question. The Sony Libre is for the Japanese market and the Kindle, although now available through Amazon Japan, has (virtually) no books in Japanese.

Ipad? Wink
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want an iPad.

Too expensive.
Too much glare.
Too heavy.
No need for all the other functions. I just want a reader.
mancboy84

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Are there any ebook readers out there that have all of these features?

1. e Ink (or similar glare-free screen technology)

2. touch pad response (to turn pages and perhaps enlarge font)

3. access to both English and Japanese books

I'd hazard a guess that such a likely product is about 12 months away. Colour e-ink technology has now been unveiled too.
JDYoung

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-readers can be used when you want to read in bed. Try that with a notebook, netbook or tablet. Get one with e-ink technology for the sake of your eyes but be aware that the screen changes vveerryy sslloowwllyy. If you like to skip around through the book, go back and check something, etc be aware that some of the lower-end readers require you to read page by page forward or back. Jumping to another page is not supported by some readers. Personally, I would avoid the touch screens because I end up touching the wrong place at the long time.

An ebook reader has saved my sanity this semester as I've already read all the books in our teachers' collection and English-language novels on paper are virtually impossible to buy locally and shipping from on-line sellers is prohibitive.

Out-of-print, backlists and never-issued-digitally books are easy enough to find on the internet. You can rebuild a library of books you had to abandon in the past.

GO FOR IT!
mimi_intheworld

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently learned that the nook (toward which I was leaning) wifi does not work outside the US. This is enormously disappointing, as now my only realistic option is a kindle, and I do NOT want to buy a kindle due to its incompatibility with non-Amazon ebooks.

I have to admit, I'm kind of crushed by this news.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (newest 2010 version) Kindle's already been through a total of 6 countries, and the ability to search and order new books essentially when and where I need them is a huge plus.

I've currently got poor vision (waiting for some surgery), and the screen works for me - it's also nice to be able to enlarge the fonts when I want to.

It's an obvious point, but the number of dead-tree books I need to survive an intercontinental trip is FAR heavier and bulkier than my Kindle.

Am absolutely happy with it.
Asher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the latest WiFi Kindle and love it. You can read books on an LCD screen (and the Nook Color is pretty good) but for the price and convenience the Kindle is hard to beat. The e-ink is really just like ink on paper. And the battery life is fantastic.

I've actually been reading a lot of classics for the first time largely because they are free. I've also used it to take .pdf files with me, loaded Japanese language lessons (audio) on it and flash cards as well. I'm planning on keeping notes and lesson plans on the Kindle once I get to Japan.

In a pinch the browser isn't too bad, but this is your best bet if you really just want the best reading experience. It's a kick having all my books at my fingertips.
80daze

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received my kindle yesterday from the UK, it's not supposed to work in China but it does! Smile

As soon as I registered it on the amazon site it uploaded all the books I was reading on my PC through the 3G network and now I have them all at my fingertips.

I'm like a little kid with a new toy Smile
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mimi_intheworld wrote:
I recently learned that the nook (toward which I was leaning) wifi does not work outside the US. This is enormously disappointing, as now my only realistic option is a kindle, and I do NOT want to buy a kindle due to its incompatibility with non-Amazon ebooks.

I have to admit, I'm kind of crushed by this news.
There are ways round this, you know. Quite simple ones. You need to work on your Google-fu, young grasshoppper.
mimi_intheworld

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've made my decision. I'm buying a nook. It has the particulars I really want (being able to load books from places other than Barnes & Noble, mainly)...and I get a discount. A small discount, but enough to make it less expensive than a kindle.

Ridiculously, this decision is a major weight off my shoulders. Now I can purge my library without worry.

ps - Mr_Monkey - I don't have much google-fu. Alas.
Denizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my iPhone with the iBooks app, which allows page turning by finger swipe, finger draw for enlargement and can accomodate a glare-free, plastic adhesive-backed sheet. The books are in ePub format but can also display pdf books, though they're not as convenient to read.

You might want to check the following site for Japanese eBooks, Glenski, though I'm not certain if they're fully compatible.

http://ebook.digitalink.ne.jp/
Miss Paperclip

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: I know I'm a few weeks late.... Reply with quote

But I keep hearing things about the Sony eReader items being some of the better ones on the market. I was originally leaning towards the Kindle as well, just because I need to get myself another laptop. The price is more friendly towards my budget. My friend who works for Boarders brought up several points that made the Sony eReaders seem more attractive. I wish I had emailed her about it instead of a phone call though, because I've already forgotten half of her points!
reddevil79

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Sony PRS 650 ereader last month and have been really pleased with it. I decided against the Kindle as it is more restrictive than the Sony model, and Amazon are quite clearly trying to corner the ebook market.

There�s no comparison between reading with e-ink technology and a laptop/netbook. I�ve read my ereader for hours at a time, something that is difficult and uncomfortable to do with a backlit screen.

The dictionaries on the Sony model are useful too, and the bilingual ones are great for those studying languages.
Miss Paperclip

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reddevil, Thank you for a response.

Out of curiosity, where do you get most of your ebooks?
Jbhughes

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Studying Reply with quote

I'm currently considering buying an ereader to get back into reading and also to avoid having to have coursebooks/research shipped over from the UK.

People have mentioned studying a language, what about distance learning for university courses?

I'm looking at this budget model: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176445
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: