Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

e-readers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reddevil79

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK, local libraries are now stocking ebooks and you can download them from their sites. They then disappear from your ereader after a month or so.

Of course with the internet, there are a multitude of sites where you can download books without paying. The ebook market is still new, and quite often the electronic version of the book is more expensive than the physical one, absolute madness. There�s no distribution or production costs, so it�s an absolute scandal that they do this; it�s the MP3 saga all over again�

What I read most of however are articles that I copy and paste from newspapers and magazines, create a word document, then just copy them over to the ereader. Reading current affairs stuff was something I really missed when I was away, and there�s only so much you can read on computer screen.
BocaNY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Studying Reply with quote

Jbhughes wrote:
I'm currently considering buying an ereader to get back into reading and also to avoid having to have coursebooks/research shipped over from the UK.

People have mentioned studying a language, what about distance learning for university courses?

I'm looking at this budget model: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176445

Jbhughes, I am also starting a distance learning program soon. I looked into e textbooks and found that they only work on laptops and tablets. Sucks I know cuz I was hoping to get it on an ereader for easier reading.

Am still in the market for an ereader and I can get one free with my reward points. I have 2 options the Kobo & Aluratek Libre. Does anyone know anything about which of these is better.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mimi_intheworld wrote:
Qaaolchoura wrote:

I'd still recommend against getting a Kindle. There's nothing it can do that other, comparably priced, e-readers can't and it comes with a number of anti-features designed to lock in Amazon's marketshare.

~Q

Q, that is honestly my concern about buying a kindle. I'm leaning toward a nook, mainly because I can get one for about $100 (because I work for the evil corporate empire, of course). But I am concerned about its usability overseas and would REALLY like to hear an international review of the device.

It works fine overseas, if we're talking about WiFi. Not sure why it wouldn't. Can't myself speak for the 3G model, but I've heard that doesn't work outside North America.

Regards,
~Q
randm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here from the UK borrow ebooks from the library when abroad?

I'm about to buy an ereader, had decided on kindle but can't use that with my library (Kent). So maybe will get a Sony. However noticed on the library website that ebooks are only available to local residents and have to go into library with proof of address. But wondering if your location is checked when downloading a book?

Thanks.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qaaolchoura wrote:
mimi_intheworld wrote:
Qaaolchoura wrote:

I'd still recommend against getting a Kindle. There's nothing it can do that other, comparably priced, e-readers can't and it comes with a number of anti-features designed to lock in Amazon's marketshare.

~Q

Q, that is honestly my concern about buying a kindle. I'm leaning toward a nook, mainly because I can get one for about $100 (because I work for the evil corporate empire, of course). But I am concerned about its usability overseas and would REALLY like to hear an international review of the device.

It works fine overseas, if we're talking about WiFi. Not sure why it wouldn't. Can't myself speak for the 3G model, but I've heard that doesn't work outside North America.

Regards,
~Q
My Kindle 3G (UK) works just fine in Japan. You can use the 3G connection to check emails and the like, but the Kindle isn't designed as a web device, so it can be pretty painful for anything but the most basic tasks.

If you're concerned about lock-in, you can either jailbreak the Kindle or use an application like Calibre to manage it. It really is excellent, except with PDFs. Nevertheless, being difficult to convert is one of the primary functions of PDF, so it's not a problem restricted to the Kindle.

Randm, an IP address check is pretty much standard when it comes to accessing ebooks through some kind of lending system. However, it's actually trivially easy to evade IP-location checks with a VPN service. You could even do it using a friend's computer in the UK for free, but that's probably beyond what you or any friend would be prepared to do - too many hoops to jump through.
reddevil79

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been taking out ebooks from Surrey and London libraries without any problem here in Mexico, though I do have a VPN just in case. I have a Sony ereader.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: