Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mynammar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreatApe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ bent ... some good and interesting information about a country I know next to nothing about. Thanks for sharing, bent!

--GA
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting info. Think I'll be adding Mynammar to my list of places to research more. While I was in Thailand it seemed to be a pretty popular and well liked spot for a short trips.
sean in guangzhou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: international schools? Reply with quote

Being an international school in Myanmar, would they need teachers to be certified? Or a CELTA/TESOL is ok?
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on the school, and how hard up they are Rolling Eyes
Saya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sayagyi.com/school
http://sayagyi.com/jobs

If you're interested you can check out my Website.
As others have said, it depends on the school. Most international schools that pay decent salaries for anywhere in the world are more likely to hire from Job fairs. However Myanmar also has a lot of schools which teach in an English medium and are open to hiring those with perhaps more experience.

Language or prep schools will hire anyone who isn't Burmese (sad but true)

(Note to mods here. I don't get paid anything for this website. It s totally non profit.)
surendra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have a question for all and Saya, apparently the expert on Myanmar Smile. I got an offer for a school in Mandalay. How modern is it there? For example, I would like to use a gym and go to a bar/pub on the weekends. I'm not expecting the like of Seoul, Tokyo, or even Bangkok, but I just want something a little lively.

Can anyone shed some light? thanks.
Saya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mandalay can be quite modern. They've even got a huge ugly shopping centre in the middle of town and cinemas etc. But the great thing is that you can get right into the countryside very quickly. It's also close to Inle, Bagan and Pwin oo Lwin.

Liveliness really depends on what you make of living there. Local people are friendly and you could easily drink in a few beer stations (cheap bars) and hang out with them. There are also a few western style places there and a growing number of events, but Yangon is without a doubt more happening, with gallery openings, film screenings, bands, parties etc. The Mandalay "scene" is much smaller but can appear more close knit.

You can also check out this FB page mainly for foreigner in Mandalay for more specific questions about living there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/375937915782645/
FloridaTEFL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's required in terms of health checks?? Like what do they test for? Any restrictions? Thanks!!
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myanmar health check requirements are quite thorough and stringent.

You need to be screened for syphilis and HIV. Your blood pressure will be taken, and an EKG performed. You will also have an ultrasound scan of your torso, a chest X-ray, blood taken and standard measurements of height and weight. You teeth and eyesight will also be checked.
In addition you will be tested for opiates,marijuana metabolites and amphetamines.

You may do this in your home country however this document will need to be notarised or alternatively at one of the approved medical facilities in Yangon or Mandalay- cost approximately US $280 and is valid for 1 year.
Employers don't normally reimburse you for that.

Good luck
FloridaTEFL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bentanddisfunctional wrote:
Myanmar health check requirements are quite thorough and stringent.

You need to be screened for syphilis and HIV. Your blood pressure will be taken, and an EKG performed. You will also have an ultrasound scan of your torso, a chest X-ray, blood taken and standard measurements of height and weight. You teeth and eyesight will also be checked.
In addition you will be tested for opiates,marijuana metabolites and amphetamines.

You may do this in your home country however this document will need to be notarised or alternatively at one of the approved medical facilities in Yangon or Mandalay- cost approximately US $280 and is valid for 1 year.
Employers don't normally reimburse you for that.

Good luck

Well this is interesting because I heard from another well placed source that there are NO health checks/requirements. Maybe it depends on individual schools?
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well this is interesting because I heard from another well placed source that there are NO health checks/requirements. Maybe it depends on individual schools?

Then why the question?? Rolling Eyes
FloridaTEFL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bentanddisfunctional wrote:
Quote:

Then why the question?? Rolling Eyes

I posted here and asked another person right around the same time - to ensure I would get at least some feedback. I didn't expect the feedback to vary so completely.
Saya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no required health checks for coming to Myanmar. Individual institutions may have their own rules though.

You would also be advised to speak to your doctor about some vaccinations before coming here (like with all Asian countries). Rabies and hepatitis for example.
surendra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can some one shed light on the hot spots for a young adult in Yangon? I am looking to teach there but want to make sure I pick a good location. I know that city isn't THAT big, but any help would be appreciated.
Saya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by hotspot?

Nightclubs aren't that popular here, traditionally they've been seedy places. Although that's starting to change. Downtown and the surrounding areas, such as Yaw Min Gyi (Dagon 1) are still probably the most "happening" as far as event go. The neighbouring districts or Sanchuang and Hledan are also slightly hip amongst locals as they are close to the universities.

When picking a place to live, it is important to consider if it's near to your workplace, as both traffic and taxi fares are increasing...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: