Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your experiences in Rio and advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrettDM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Your experiences in Rio and advice Reply with quote

I graduated from College in 2009 with a BS in Business with a Marketing Emphasis from the University of Colorado. I have no experience teaching

I want to teach English abroad and use TEFL to live and travel around.

I am thinking of getting my CELTA in Rio at either BRITANNIA INTERNATIONAL ENGLISH or CULTURA INGLESA RIO DE JANEIRO.

It is quite expensive to take the course. The Britannia course costs $2,200 plus $180 for the certification fee. And they only offer one full time course in early January.

I e-mailed the other school to find out their prices and dates. Hoping they have more dates available and maybe cheaper.

Anyway.

Does anyone have any experience with these two schools?

I am choosing Rio because I want to have a good time and be in a place with good nightlife and pretty women while teaching. As long as I get by thats all that matters to me. That being said, I will take my work seriously, I can separate work and play.

So I just want to hear everyones experience teaching in Rio and any tips they may have for me.

Thanks all.
DashGlobal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what ive gathered teaching english in Rio is very hard, not alot of opportunities.

id suggest getting a celta in ecuador as its alot cheaper. then catch a bus to colombia where its alot easier to get a teaching job. good nightlife, hot women, steady work.

only place in brazil that has decent opportunities is sao paulo....
BrettDM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that is what I figured as well, but it seems some make it work.

Colombia sounds pretty good as well.

I looked at the CELTA costs in both countries.

They seem to be on par with each other, $1,550 in Colombia, and $2,250 in Ecuador, but that is also including food and accommodation.

It seems that other have been able to scrap by in Rio. I would Really love to make it work somehow.

My initial plan was to get certified in Rio, work there for the remaining 6 months of Visa, then go over to Colombia for a while, then possibly to Argentina and maybe Mexico. Then either go back to Brazil or off to Istanbul.

Lots to think about.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
icehockey23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about anyone else's CELTA experience but mine while not particularly difficult required a lot of time for most of it - didnt have much time for fun - If I had to do my CELTA again -Id do it in the cheapest location with the least distractions - Id go to Rio after i got my CELTA
icehockey23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW 2380 US dollars sounds expensive for a CELTA course in Brazil pretty sure you could do it in Sao Paulo for less.

There is a chance Cultura Inglessa would offer you work after you finish the course - but they will pay you very little, offer you a work schedule from Hell and provide no support regarding a work visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: