Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recruiters? Job Websites? Please help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
collme

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Recruiters? Job Websites? Please help. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I need help. I don't even know where to start as far as looking for a job in Costa Rica. I have a degree in Journalism, the CELTA, have experience teaching English in Dublin, Ireland and just recently taught for a year in South Korea. There were hundreds of recruiters for Korea and job boards, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how you go about finding a job in Costa Rica? Does any one use a recruiter? If so, do you have any you could recommend? Are there job websites where you apply to schools directly? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated! Please help me out!

Many thanks!
tuanis mae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is to go down and apply in person. Most schools wont hire unless you are in the country. It takes a little more guts to come to a country without a job lined up, but there are quite a few schools down here which means quite a few jobs.
Daddyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also costa rica is very small time ESL-wise, compared with the likes of Korea. Doubt you'd even find one recruiter here. Maybe IH ... but I haven't made a study of it.
dhsampso

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there really aren't any recruiters. Web sites are scant. Sometimes Craigslist has something. I know Maximo Nivel, where I taught, started posting on Craigslist for jobs. You can always check the Tico Times if you're in country. Search around the forum a bit for schools. I know Politecnico (sp?) in Heredia has a Web site and mentions ESL jobs on it. Maximo Nivel has a site as well, but I don't think you can apply for jobs on it and they don't post jobs there I believe. You can always call though. There's a Berlitz location in San Jose and somewhere else I think. Intercultura in Heredia I hear is good. Just be careful of the jobs that have you shuttling around the city and pay by the hour. It can be rough unpredictable with the pay. I worked with Maximo Nivel and the great thing about them is they have most of their classes onsite at their offices in San Pedro, pay salary based on a maximum hour schedule (very resonable and if you work more, you get paid more) and also help with transport costs if you do travel to locations to teach.

Overall, you'll find jobs by e-mailing the schools and asking, literally walking in the door with a resume, word-of-mouth, or sometimes on this forum. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: