Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

in Siem Rep, seek job and apt, intro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teachercreature

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: in Siem Rep, seek job and apt, intro Reply with quote

Hey, everbody! Thanks for all the encouraging info you've put on here. I'm in Phnom Penh now with the on-arrival business visa. I'm going to Siem Rep today. My Detroit Delta airlines told me I might be denied passage by Korean Airlines when I got to Chicago, but when I got there KA non-nonchalantly let me go; just as people here had written.

Does anybody in Siem Rep want a roommate with whom to share costs or know someone who does, especially Filipinos? Where do the Siem Rep English-speakers hang out and what schools are good to apply there? I have 3 months' experience teaching experience in China (recommendation letters in Chinese), no certification, and a BA in Linguistics from Michigan State University. I'm over here to be with the Filipina wife I met in China while the US visa takes forever.

I might get certified someday, but my real career is as an academic of ancient languages (Egyptian hieroglyphs in particular). Asians pretty much just want entertainment, so I'm actually not the greatest English teacher, but there's a place for everyone it seems. I'll be in Siem Reap to be close to Angkor Wat and the Sanskrit and Old Khmer inscriptions. I wonder if there's books somewhere at Siem Reap so I could read some of the inscriptions. I found Jenner's new dictionaries of Pre-Angkorian Khmer and Angkorian Khmer and they were really cool, though I think most of the inscriptions are religious stuff in Sanskrit. That's why I've considered just staying at Phnom Penh. I wish I had had the wherewithall a year ago to make my way to the Shang Dynasty province in China so I could've seen more real oracle bones. But then no wife, so things work out well.

We were in far NE China, Changchun, a nice academic hub for studying ancient civilizations. If anybody knows anybody in Cambodia interested in that kind of stuff, message me on this forum so we could meet up. I do everything, but my preference is for the oldest writings, hieroglyphic. Cambodia is like a Maya or Rongorongo-surrogate to me. All the writing systems of India and SE Asia are actually from the same place as the Roman, from Egyptian 1900BC through Aramaic, all coming from Brahmi like 200BC or so. Even Mongolian and Korean are from Aramaic, but they're from a northerly branch, thru Old Uighur. I also think that Chinese is eventually from Sumerian, but most experts in the field think it's a local invention, which is just poorly-supported consensus, like what keeps Ruhlen's Proto-World model as heresy. Mayan probably is. Anyway... Everybody's got a hobby.

I did a report on Ethiopic and Brahmi-based writing a while ago, and it'd be neat to see one in action, especially in something as gigantic as Angkor. Part of the package is the old Hindu stuff, too, which is interesting. Never seen that in person.

I'm going to try to find a decent $8 guesthouse for the time being and just make the rounds like Khmerhit described in one post. I have dress clothes all ready, resumes with imbeded photos, all that stuff.
teachercreature

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Siem Reap. I ran into a Basque guy and he told me that because it's rainy season, I should demand 3 dollars a night until I find a place that'll do it. It was the same thing in China and almost in the Philippines. These slimy Asians will cheat you out of penny if they could -your last one even! This is my last night here for 8.

I need to find the expats.

Someone wrote somewhere that 150 / month was hard to find in PP, and another that he saw ads for 30 / month with a family. The Basque guy said that a good long-term deal would be 60 / month, about 2 / day. I hope I can find some honest, helpful expats. These Asians give me the creeps with their genuine soullessness. Some days I wish I was back in Montana or Utah. Who knows what the real price is here?

I remember that post where some guy was cheated out of 100 from his workplace. Typical language school, from what I hear.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teachercreature wrote:
I'm in Siem Reap. I ran into a Basque guy and he told me that because it's rainy season, I should demand 3 dollars a night until I find a place that'll do it. It was the same thing in China and almost in the Philippines. These slimy Asians will cheat you out of penny if they could -your last one even! This is my last night here for 8.

Someone wrote somewhere that 150 / month was hard to find in PP, and another that he saw ads for 30 / month with a family. The Basque guy said that a good long-term deal would be 60 / month, about 2 / day. I hope I can find some honest, helpful expats. These Asians give me the creeps with their genuine soullessness. Some days I wish I was back in Montana or Utah. Who knows what the real price is here?

I remember that post where some guy was cheated out of 100 from his workplace. Typical language school, from what I hear.

Wow, you really make me want to go!

I didn't know Asians were soul-less, but you know, my landlord in St. Louis never reduced rent because of the rainy season either. Wonder if he's soul-less too- or spirit-less- 'the spirit-less of St. Louis.'
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:
teachercreature wrote:

Wow, you really make me want to go!

I didn't know Asians were soul-less, but you know, my landlord in St. Louis never reduced rent because of the rainy season either. Wonder if he's soul-less too- or spirit-less- 'the spirit-less of St. Louis.'

Haha, soul-less for sure!!! My landlord here in PP gives me discounts on rent every time it rains since I can't use the balcony on those days, lol.. He also gives me free cable tv on the days there isn't any good western movies on too...jk, of course....duh...

To the OP. Yes, now would be a good time to ask for discounts on rooms since it is rainy and low season. However, I would get out of Siem Reap as soon as possible, because I would hate to live in a city/country/continent where u feel tricked by 'slimy asians' every turn of the way. I have a gut feeling you will have a miserable time here no matter how good your negotiating skills are.

Also, I assume you are looking for rooms with a fan and NOT a/c for the prices you have mentioned. I've stayed there during high season (before, during and after December) and saw MANY great rooms for $5 a night without staying long term. I assume they might knock a buck off a night since it's low/rainy season. Maybe they just quoted you high prices and decided not to budge after they spoke with you a few minutes cuz they got a bad vibe from u like I'm getting.

My advice is to walk around (Siem Reap is super small) and ask for discounts at some of the guesthouses; politely of course. If you can't find nice rooms for about $4 on your own in Siem Reap you will have many other huge problems in this country.

Best of luck to you, and let us know how u make out!!
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Lucky.
We do need compassion though. Who knows what makes a person bitter? Everyone suffers because of it.

Anyway, Cambodia sounds like a really awesome place. I can't wait to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: