Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL TESOL university instructor salary in Kuwait + advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcharteacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: ESL TESOL university instructor salary in Kuwait + advice Reply with quote

Hello, I am wondering how much does a ESL/TESOL instructor earn on average teaching in a Kuwaiti university or college?
(If your qualifications are MA in education or MA in ESL and you are a native-speaking Canadian/American citizen)
I know for teaching high school it is between 600-900 depending on your experience.

Please any advise would be appreciated, I tried researching this but can't seem to find any information or salary numbers. I tried contacting the universities but they seem so secretive about salary packages. Rolling Eyes
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcharteacher wrote:
I am wondering how much does a ESL/TESOL instructor earn on average teaching in a Kuwaiti university or college? (If your qualifications are MA in education or MA in ESL and you are a native-speaking Canadian/American citizen)

Do you have any relevant experience? If so, what did it entail and where did you teach?

and wrote:
I tried contacting the universities but they seem so secretive about salary packages. Rolling Eyes

Probably wasn't a good strategy, especially if you apply at some point and they remember you... Plus, they're not being secretive. Employers throughout the Mid East (and elsewhere) determine salary based on a candidate's verified work experience, what that experience entailed, where that experience was gained, and type and level of university degree. However, if you search or scroll through this thread, you'll see some discussions about salaries.

If you meet the qualifications, then apply, hopefully get interviewed, and then you'll see what they consider you're worth. This is the usual process. As one job ad states: "Successful candidates will be offered competitive remuneration packages, to be discussed during interviews."
fcharteacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
fcharteacher wrote:
I am wondering how much does a ESL/TESOL instructor earn on average teaching in a Kuwaiti university or college? (If your qualifications are MA in education or MA in ESL and you are a native-speaking Canadian/American citizen)

Do you have any relevant experience? If so, what did it entail and where did you teach?

and wrote:
I tried contacting the universities but they seem so secretive about salary packages. Rolling Eyes

Probably wasn't a good strategy, especially if you apply at some point and they remember you... Plus, they're not being secretive. Employers throughout the Mid East (and elsewhere) determine salary based on a candidate's verified work experience, what that experience entailed, where that experience was gained, and type and level of university degree. However, if you search or scroll through this thread, you'll see some discussions about salaries.

If you meet the qualifications, then apply, hopefully get interviewed, and then you'll see what they consider you're worth. This is the usual process. As one job ad states: "Successful candidates will be offered competitive remuneration packages, to be discussed during interviews."

Thank you for your reply. The qualifications are 1 year high school teaching, and 2 years volunteer based teaching (recent graduate). In addition, a Master in education (English and ESL) and TESOL certification.

The reason I ask about salary is that I just want to compare if a university instructor would make the same as a high school ESL instructor (since many high schools require the MA as well). I am just wondering if it's worth applying or worth the switch from high school teaching to University instructing.

Thank you for your time and insight.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcharteacher wrote:
The qualifications are 1 year high school teaching, and 2 years volunteer based teaching (recent graduate). In addition, a Master in education (English and ESL) and TESOL certification.

Unfortunately, volunteer teaching isn't counted as valid experience; employers want to see relevant, paid teaching experience and that it was gained post-MA and TEFL cert. That leaves you with one year of high school teaching experience that, presumedly, was in EFL but without a teaching license from your home country.

I'm not sure of your interest in Kuwait, but with minimal experience and a recent MA, your best chance for a TEFL position in the Mid East would be Saudi Arabia.
middeastgirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

I'm not sure of your interest in Kuwait, but with minimal experience and a recent MA, your best chance for a TEFL position in the Mid East would be Saudi Arabia.

No offense, NS, but if you've never taught in Kuwait, as you stated in other threads, how would you know what the OP's best chances would be?

Many international schools have EFL programs, and are always on the look out for qualified instructors.
To the OP, with an MA in education, and your teaching experience, I say your chances are pretty good at landing a job next school year. Most schools are in the hiring process right now, so if you're interested in next school year, start applying now. Do a google search for international schools in Kuwait, get their email address, and start firing off your CV. That's how I got my job, here.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

middeastgirl wrote:
No offense, NS, but if you've never taught in Kuwait, as you stated in other threads, how would you know what the OP's best chances would be?

I have friends throughout this region who teach and provide feedback. Plus, I've conducted my own research of TEFL employment ads and employers in the Gulf. But if you have advice or specific information that states otherwise, then certainly post it. The OP can choose to apply for whatever positions he/she feels their qualifications and interests match. Hopefully, that will include researching the employer as well. Teachaway.com is a good guide for teacher quals in Kuwait.
fcharteacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

middeastgirl wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

Many international schools have EFL programs, and are always on the look out for qualified instructors.
To the OP, with an MA in education, and your teaching experience, I say your chances are pretty good at landing a job next school year. Most schools are in the hiring process right now, so if you're interested in next school year, start applying now. Do a google search for international schools in Kuwait, get their email address, and start firing off your CV. That's how I got my job, here.

Thank you for your reply! Sorry, I may be new to this but what exactly is OP? And, with the qualifications listed do you believe I qualify for a University or college position? Are you familiar with any average salaries for TESOL at a uni/college environment?

Thank you so much for both of your replies, truly helpful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: