Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to teach english in Peru!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicoleee_

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Looking to teach english in Peru! Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm a native born Peruvian who moved to the US when I was 4. I'm completely fluent in both English and Spanish. After a couple recent visits to Peru to visit family I still have there, I decided that I would absolutely love to live there for a year or two. I'm completing my aa next spring and I want to do a 4 week course in Cusco but I'm not sure which one to pick. I also would like some more information on whether or not I could take the program even without a Bachelors Degree..and what my chances of getting a good job there. I'm only 20 but I know that is exactly what I want to do. Help please?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any course that has 120 hours is ok. You could getinto the courses as long as your over 18 and fluent in English.

Do you have your DNI? If not, then you should get that in order to work legally. There are jobs, but with lack of quals and a BA. YOu'll probably be looking at 5 or 6 dollars an hour
nicoleee_

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Any course that has 120 hours is ok. You could getinto the courses as long as your over 18 and fluent in English.

Do you have your DNI? If not, then you should get that in order to work legally. There are jobs, but with lack of quals and a BA. YOu'll probably be looking at 5 or 6 dollars an hour

Yeah I just got it this year to save on flights within Peru hahaha. It's pretty useful..so even with an aa I wouldn't be making a lot of money? What about private lessons?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicoleee_ wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

Yeah I just got it this year to save on flights within Peru hahaha. It's pretty useful..so even with an aa I wouldn't be making a lot of money? What about private lessons?

You're not going to want to hear this, but here goes. There are three levels are teachers.

At the bottom are peruvians. Second are foreigners that are hired locally. And third are foreigners that are hired abroad.

So even if a Peruvian is has higher quals than a foreigner hired abroad, the foreigner gets more. Your DNI will only help you work legally. Not get paid more.

Privates vary. You can get 5 bucks an hour, you can get 20. Try doing group lessons.

Hope this helps a bit. I tried Peru for six years. The most I made was 1500 and that was working at a university, teaching privates, and working at a school. At the same time. I basically had three jobs. I was teaching about 30 hours a week and spending 4 hours a day in public transport. I'd leave around 7 am and come home at 1opm

I suppose it's a good adventure for a bit, but I'm nearing 30 and couldn't do it anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: