Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is recruiting in November/December?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
White ice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Who is recruiting in November/December? Reply with quote

Hello all,

In Mid-November I will hopefully be finishing my CELTA course here in the UK and then starting to search for a job abroad.

Am I correct in thinking that November/December is an awkward time for searching for a job overseas and that I will have better luck in January?

I will be BA (unrelated) + CELTA + no experience.

Countries Im currently considering are Russia, Japan and Eastern Europe but I am very open to suggestions.

Any views are appreciated!
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may depend on the nature of the job. Training centres and the private sector employ all year round. November / December might be a great time to look at many teachers will leave at new year / xmas. Student intake may be down, but Ive always seen vacancies arise around that time. As January progresses Id guess the jobs have been filled.

This is based on experience in China BTW. You can start to apply from the UK during the CELTA course, allowing a month for visa etc to be sorted (assume you hold an undergradute degree?) and the timing looks good.

My only other experience is in the UK, with seasonal work, and of course its the wrong time of the year for that.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Japan, I'd say it's a very, very poor time of year to be looking. Even January is bleak.
White ice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies.

I greatly appreciate the information.

So do you recommend applying for jobs before i complete the CELTA?
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most employers in Japan don't care about certifications. It's very competitive here now, so it's anyone's guess how much weight they will put on such things. Won't hurt, of course, but many/most employers hire on personality and perceived chemistry with staff and students.

When do you actually want to start work? Visa processing here can take 2-8 weeks. You need the job before you can apply for the visa, so figure another 1-3 months there.
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian schools hire pretty much year-round. It takes between one and two months to get a visa. One month for the employer to get an invitation for you from the interior ministry, then another week to a month for you to get a visa from the embassy. If you find something in November, then you should be in a good position to start working in January (note that winter holidays here run from 30 Dec to 8 Jan, and many students don't return until later, so normal working hours don't usually start until 15-20 January.) Schools regularly hire from abroad.

Eastern Europe has a hiring peak in January. Things work a little bit differently there, though, as most schools will expect to interview you in person. There's simply too many teachers running around the area to take a chance on someone sight-unseen.
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed about Russia. I think you may also find that Kiev in Ukraine is another high demand location.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: