Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Target Training (InCorporate Trainer)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jm2505

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Target Training (InCorporate Trainer) Reply with quote

Anyone got any experience of working for this school?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'to incorporate' is a verb, not a noun (I just checked Webster 2009 to be totally sure).

Is this really the name of a school? Or a job title? It's weird.
jm2505

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Target Reply with quote

Incorporate appears to be part of their trading name
tefl_john

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a company called Target who have regular job openings on tefl.com. They have done for years.

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=39052

Would appear this is the company you are talking about.

They are always advertising, so either they have lots of jobs to offer or they have a high turnover of trainers.
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Target do a lot of in-house work, where a teacher is based at a company for two years. There was a poster here called Chris who did two years at Siemens, possibly in Karlsruhe, and he sounded happy with his lot.

Years ago, I had an initial telephone interview with Chris (a different Chris, but this guy is the same contact as in the job ad) and also spoke to the in-house teaching manager, Scott, who was based at Siemens. They seemed professional enough and gave candid answers to my questions. It would�ve been a good job, but I wanted to get out of Germany. Looking at the figures in the advert it looks a good deal, but it�d be a demanding job, and I�d imagine only very good teachers need apply.
March Hare

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any new info about this company?
johncoan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

March Hare wrote:
Does anyone have any new info about this company?

I got through the first two stages of the three-stage interview process, and things looked promising. I waited a few weeks to hear back from them, and then got in touch myself, asking about my application. They said I didn't have exactly the profile they were looking for, but would bear me in mind for similar work. This was about a year ago.

My guess is that they're fairly particular about who they employ, but I also get the feeling that they're not very organised. I also get the impression that people tend to come and go quite a lot (as they're often advertising), which doesn't bode well.
targetrecruiting

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm responsible for the initial stages of the recruitment process at Target. Maybe I can clarify a couple of points that have come up here so far:

- we have an on-going recruitment process. We're an expanding company and want to have trainers ready to fill jobs that come up because of a) new contracts or b) trainers completing their contracts and moving on.

- yes, the positions we advertise are demanding and yes, we do want well-qualified, experienced trainers to fill them. The initial contract is 2 years, but many of our trainers have been with us longer.

- InCorporate is a rather clever play on words. It doesn't work if you don't respect the capitals.

@Hod: Thanks for the comment.
Robert M

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Target Training, Germany Reply with quote

I've done freelance work for Target for many years, and I've never had a problem with them. They pay well, always on-time, and everyone in management is very professional and treat their trainers with respect. I know that their business has grown a great deal over the years, which is why they keep recruiting new trainers (usually an existing client decides to offer training to more people or departments, necessitating a new trainer). I also know from experience that their interviewing process is very rigorous, conducted in stages over a long period of time, so that's probably why they cast such a big net when recruiting.
Sansibar1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I got through the first two stages of the three-stage interview process, and things looked promising. I waited a few weeks to hear back from them, and then got in touch myself, asking about my application. They said I didn't have exactly the profile they were looking for, but would bear me in mind for similar work. This was about a year ago.

My guess is that they're fairly particular about who they employ, but I also get the feeling that they're not very organised. I also get the impression that people tend to come and go quite a lot (as they're often advertising), which doesn't bode well.

Sorry targetrecruiting, but I can only support what johncoan has said here about the recruitment process. My personal situation was very similar.

After a number of very friendly and professional emails, we had agreed on a time and date to conduct a telephone interview. It was scheduled for 3 pm on a Wednesday afternoon and then cancelled that day at 11 am.
No reason was given, except for a remark about wanting to keep my application on file for later use. It has now been almost 2 years and I still haven't heard anything from you since.

Honestly, this is not what I call a very professional organisation.
Clay_C.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a similar situation 5+ years ago with a seemingly positive interview experience followed by a promise to get back to me within a week that was not kept. If you know anything about the market in Germany, I suggest considering whether you believe anyone has REALLY been growing THAT steadily for 6 or more years to require the constant adverts.
escuto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any of these companies who frequently post on the tefl website are terribly desirable: Easy English has a dark cloud over its head, Logos-Sprachinstitut is a veritable revolving door in a sleepy part of Germany, Steven's has a rather mixed record, the people working the registers at your local Aldi Markt make more than teachers at Inlingua, and the jury is still out on this Target bunch (the only positive reference stinks of collusion). Have I forgotten anyone?
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

escuto wrote:
the people working the registers at your local Aldi Markt

All those jobs are part-time "mini-jobs", �400 a month tax free.
escuto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
escuto wrote:
the people working the registers at your local Aldi Markt

All those jobs are part-time "mini-jobs", �400 a month tax free.

If they are working on the �400-job basis, then yes. Otherwise I know someone who was looking at getting a job there a couple years ago: starting pay was �12/hour, and once you complete their Azubi program that gets bumped up to �15 or more. By comparison, contracted employees at Inlingua start at about �12/hour while their freelancers haul in �13-14. Figure in the unpaid planning and travel time and you can see that Inlingua teachers are tied up for longer hours and coming away with less.
Minny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys are good and I have worked for my share of dodgy schools so I can tell you these guys are the real deal. I certainly wouldn't bother with any other company in Germany besides these guys.

Good concept - fair remuneration - fair contract - good for both trainer and client.

Yes the interview process is very difficult and it took me over 3 months from beginning to end to be offered a job. (Admittedly I prolonged the process - explained later.)

Having said that I applied for this job several times over a 2-year period and whilst they always mentioned they were interested in my application they said I still didn't quite have the experience they were looking for. So all in all it took me nearly 3 years to land this job.

There was an initial phone interview followed by a second phone interview followed by an online psyche test and you have to submit a demo-lesson plan based on something they give you (and it's not present perfect like usual thank God.), then this is followed by a face-to-face interview that lasted almost 3 hours. It was tough and I made mistakes but I actually enjoyed the process - I like the fact they were interested enough to test me so hard to see if I could do the job.

This school is serious about getting good trainers and not only is this reflected in their long recruitment process but also by the fact that they compensate you for travel and accomodation to travel to the face-to-face interview. (This school is willing to put their money where their mouth is.)

Not only did they check my references but I was allowed to ask some of their current employees questions about the company.

I had actually grown so annoyed with the EFL industry by this stage I actually put a halt on the interview process until I had spoken to enough people to convince me I wanted to work for these guys. The company was very understanding and patient with me during this time. I would even say supportive and quietly confident they knew I would come back after speaking to their people.

Now you might say yeah right ok they only let you talk to the people that are happy well not all the feedback was fantastic but it certainly was honest. (I was actually shocked firstly by the fact that they let me talk to so many people and secondly that the employees were very honest in their replies.)

I asked a number of questions ranging from teaching methods to employee turn-over rates. Most feedback was generally very good there were only a few small complaints that are normal for any organisation.

This school has a high employee retention rate which is an exception for the EFL industry. Many long serving employees who have been with the company between 5 and 8 years and at a minimum people finish their initial 2 year contracts.

Finally, any company that is willing to give you a full contract for 2 years with full employee benifits under German law must have confidence in their business and must be doing something right. In other words they are willing to take the business risks not shift them to the trainer like most freelance contracts do. This is one of the only positions I have seen that offer this not only in Germany but most of Europe.

I think good teachers need to get behind schools like this it is the only way we are going to help improve the industry.

Need I say more?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: