Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need a degree to teach in Chile?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wafi

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Do I need a degree to teach in Chile? Reply with quote

Hello,
Just wondering if I need a degree to teach in Chile. I'm British and taught in Vietnam for a year, I have a CELTA also.
voltaire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I have years and years of experience, a TESL certificate (no M.A.), but also a wife and children - in a country that shall remain nameless- to support. Is there much of a chance of getting a good university or high school job that pays well enough for me to send money to my family, or -dare I say it- would allow the whole family to live in Chile? I am not at all particular about what city or province I would live in. Very Happy

P.S. I appreciate how unlikely this all is, but if you can offer any useful information, I am grateful.
Dia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A degree? What type of degree are you asking about.
Some of the more desirable jobs require a full teaching degree, or sometimes a masters.

I think I would feel uneasy telling someone they did not need a (4year or similar) University degree to teach in Chile. Every job I personally have applied for (universities, private schools, institutes) have specifically required one and many have asked for a photocopy or even notarized copy.

I have heard/seen that there are institutes that don't require a university degree. I dont remember which ones, nor did I know if they were considered to be good places to work, etc... I imagine it would be a problem for most Universities to hire someone without a degree, even if they have certification to teach English. However, I'm not an authority, just an opinion gathered from jobsearching experience.

I think someone without a degree could probably find a job at an institute and private students. For most private students, your fluency is enough, and experience and certification are a plus.

Voltaire- I wouldn't be able advise with any confidence for your situation, but I can tell you that my gut feeling is that it would be difficult to fully support a family off a job in Chile, whether they're here with you or afar. I feel this way about all Chilean families, though, supporting a family must be tough here. You'd have to find a pretty good job and be very frugal.
SeHablaIngles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I need a degree to teach in Chile? Reply with quote

wafi wrote:
Hello,
Just wondering if I need a degree to teach in Chile. I'm British and taught in Vietnam for a year, I have a CELTA also.

You don't need a degree to teach English through an English language institute here. If you wanted to work in the education sector (ie. Primary, Secondary and Tertiary), you would.

If you plan to trade on your degree, get it translated and legalised by your local Chilean embassy.

El Profe
novia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked in private, subsidized and public schools without a degree or certificate and never had a problem. It really depends on your appearance, demeanor and command of Spanish (for convincing purposes). Experience is important too. Although, a command of English grammar obviously will help you be a better teacher.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are my chances?

I am 32, clean-cut. Five years of experience teaching English in language schools, business classes, private middle and high schools in Mexico. I also have a 120 hour on-site TEFL with six hours of observed teaching practice. Intermediate Spanish skills. No degree.

What are my odds in Chile?
Daddyo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: De acuerdo Reply with quote

novia wrote:
I have worked in private, subsidized and public schools without a degree or certificate and never had a problem. It really depends on your appearance, demeanor and command of Spanish (for convincing purposes). Experience is important too. Although, a command of English grammar obviously will help you be a better teacher.

I agree with the above statement.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: De acuerdo Reply with quote

Daddyo wrote:
novia wrote:

I agree with the above statement.

Cool!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

novia wrote:

I am clean cut, I speak decent Spanish, I've taught in colegios before, and I've even got a TEFL cert. and references.

Guess I should be OK in Chilie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: