Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University teaching in Argentina?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B0RGNINE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: University teaching in Argentina? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have some questions about finding university work in Argentina, but before I start, I just need to mention that I cant' get the search function to work on my computer for some reason. I've tried three different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, and Explorer) and all I get is a blank white screen when I hit the search button. Anyone else have this problem? I'm assuming it's something going on with my computer. Anyway... just had to mention that before I have 10 people berate me for not knowing how to/being too lazy to perform a search.

I'm interested in working in Argentina. I know there is work for English teachers there, but I'm more interested in teaching adults, and more specifically, doing university work.

About me (list-style to save time/space... I tend to be long-winded):

AGE/SEX/MARITAL -

36/male/single without children or dependants

EDUCATION -

MA (Curriculum and Instruction - TESL)
BA (English Lit.)

QUALIFICATIONS -

Colorado State Teaching License (Secondary English Language Arts)
Colorado State Professional Teaching Endorsement (TESL - Linguistically Diverse Education)

EXPERIENCE -

April 2010 � Present: teaching English conversation classes at a private language school Chiba, Japan

April 2009 � August 2009: Taught accredited English classes at a college in Kawasaki, Japan

January 2006 � August 2008: Taught English for Academic Purposes at a university Intensive English Program in Denver, Colorado, USA

July 1999 � July 2002: Was in the JET program as an ALT in Sapporo, Japan

PUBLICATIONS -

not published

-----------------
I'm currently trying to find a university position in the Tokyo area (because I speak Japanese, and have an established social circle - difficult to give up) but competition is really tight right now for uni positions, and I need to consider other options if things don't work out here.

My education and qualifications I know aren't bad, but there are a lot of people out there with similar quals but who have more experience than me. And I'm not published (I may start working on this soon, but even so, I doubt anything will be ready to include on my CV before the spring which is when my contract is up here in Japan). Unfortunately, the schooling for the teaching license, ESL endorsement and my MA wasn't cheap, and I have some hefty student loan debt in the States. I wouldn't be so concerned about money otherwise and would consider teaching anywhere I think I might be happy living regardless of how much I'd be paid, but under my current circumstances if I'm unable get a handle on this debt over the next couple of years, I'll be under it for a very very long time. It's rather a make or break situation for me at this point. I wouldn't mind leaving Asia for someplace new if I can make enough money to pay my bills in the states, save a little and have some fun too. South America has always been enticing, but I always assumed I wouldn't be able to make enough. But I thought I should inquire rather than make assumptions based on no information.

Considering the above, what kind of options do I have available for me in Argentina? Under a realistic scenario, what can I expect to be paid, how much might I be able to save, and what kind of paid time off is offered?

Thank you everyone.

NOTE: you may see a modified version of this same posting on a couple of the other boards. Thanks for understanding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: