Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you teach anywhere in Asia without a degree ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAmericanNomad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: list places requirements? Reply with quote

adventuramust wrote:

Taiwan seems to be a must for BA and I believe Vietnam and Cambodia are as well. Can we get some kind of list going?

Legally that is not true about Taiwan. You can legally teach in Taiwan with an AA and a TEFL certification (you need both though). However, from what I hear it is a pretty competitive market right now, so you will likely need a BA is you want a good job. But I have also seen Ads for HESS and other schools saying they will take an AA with a TEFL certification.
Irish Lad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: list places requirements? Reply with quote

TheAmericanNomad wrote:
adventuramust wrote:

Taiwan seems to be a must for BA and I believe Vietnam and Cambodia are as well. Can we get some kind of list going?

Legally that is not true about Taiwan. You can legally teach in Taiwan with an AA and a TEFL certification (you need both though). However, from what I hear it is a pretty competitive market right now, so you will likely need a BA is you want a good job. But I have also seen Ads for HESS and other schools saying they will take an AA with a TEFL certification.

No, Cambodia is one of the countries in which you can legally teach without a degree. And there is a list going: tttompatz posted a pretty comprehensive list on the previous page.
TheAmericanNomad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh? I was referring to his comment about a BA being a "must" for Taiwan. It is not a Must for Taiwan, an AA with a TESOL certificate is the minimum standard, though a BA is highly recommended.

As for Cambodia, I have no idea. I would defer to your expertise.
microbabe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayuJati wrote:
microbabe and adventuramust,

What keeps you from going back to school to earn a degree so that you can continue (start?) your professional career as an ESL instructor? You can enroll in programs in Asia and SE Asia (and NE Asia and S Asia) that would give you a student visa. By taking your degree in a country where you might want to stay for a while, it will give you a chance to scope out jobs before graduating. In Malaysia you can get a student visa AND work part-time legally.

The days of backpacker tourists showing up at a school and "working" for a week or two to earn money for beer and bus tickets are mostly gone and relegated to boring travel accounts.

I note that the OP hasn't been back in the discussion since starting it in October last year. Not paying attention to posting dates means we may be only posting to the ether.

Yes, I have not looked on this thread for a long time. We ended up back in UK for summer school then came to Sudan in Aug last year ,full of hopes and dreams!! Needless to say it didn't work out as planned. So, we are again on the hunt for new countries and still fancy Asia.

A very belated thanks to everyone for all the useful info.
ATeacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to ask the same question, re. update Asia without degree info.

I've just noticed Indonesia has now added 'degree' to its visa requirements which unfortunately was where I wanted to go. So now, because I want to work legally, I need to look elsewhere.

The real shame of this is, that they are not requiring teacher-specific stuff........ so for teaching, a degree, no experience, no CELTA (or equiv) is better than no degree, CELTA, 3+ years experience.

I'm planning to do a degree from September, so this is looking short-term rather than long-term. However, I'd ideally like to work in Asia this year.

Two things just to clarify for myself and others:

1) I appreciate almost all TEFL ads say 'degree required', however this is also clearly the case in many situations when it is not a requirement.

2) My question is also very much about experienced, CELTA (or equiv) teachers, who believe they can do the job, but just happen not to have a degree. Sorry, but I am not advocating unqualified teaching, nor do I support it (I just don't consider a degree essential to be a good EFL teacher).

Thanks in advance!
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

microbabe wrote:
Yes, I have not looked on this thread for a long time. We ended up back in UK for summer school then came to Sudan in Aug last year ,full of hopes and dreams!! Needless to say it didn't work out as planned. So, we are again on the hunt for new countries and still fancy Asia.

Cambodia or Laos (only 2 left) ...

bit of the "wild west" in the east as far as labor practices go but you can get by without a degree until 2015.

Beginning in 2015 you will need a degree to teach in ALL of the ASEAN countries:

Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia. Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, VietNam.

As mentioned before, degrees (with a few visa exceptions) are needed for legal work in:

Korea, China, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau and India.

There are options and choices still in western Asia / Asia Minor or Eastern Europe.

ATeacher wrote:
1) I appreciate almost all TEFL ads say 'degree required', however this is also clearly the case in many situations when it is not a requirement.

2) My question is also very much about experienced, CELTA (or equiv) teachers, who believe they can do the job, but just happen not to have a degree. Sorry, but I am not advocating unqualified teaching, nor do I support it (I just don't consider a degree essential to be a good EFL teacher).

It is NOT a matter of what makes a better teacher (degree, CELTA, training or experience).

It is NOT about what the employers are asking for. In many cases they would settle for someone who speaks English and can fill seats or at least look good on the posters.

WHAT IT IS however is a matter of what the governments / immigration services of the respective countries use to determine who they will and who they will not grant a work visa to.

Either you meet their (immigration/government) minimum requirements (and can legally work) or you cannot. There is no middle ground or gray area. It is a simple yes/no, black/white decision to them.

Do not be mislead by the DREAM SELLERS (aka TEFL certification institutions) who make their money selling dreams to people who dream of travel to far-off destinations, with pictures of white sand beaches, lush green jungles and exotic night-life.

You don't find things like that on the CELTA or Trinity websites.

As the old adage says, "If it looks too good to be true... . Caveat Emptor.

ATeacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tttompatz, appreciate the response. Actually well-aware of the things you have stated. The bit you've quoted was just an add-on... to cover a few things that I saw in other posts.

And just to clarify... this is only about Asia..... for the rest of world, there are many legal no-degree possibilities, not just Eastern Europe.

At present, a grey area is exactly what it seems to be. This is highlighted in a number of forums, which have current threads.

For example, I have seen at least three cases of teachers working legally (now) with full working visa in Thailand and Indonesia. Both governments state, categorically that a degree is a visa requirement. However, in each case, I believe the teacher was in the country before obtaining the work.

This is not surprising, to be honest. I think, sometimes, UK / US (and some other country) residents forget that what we consider absolute rules, government requirements, etc, may not necessarily be absolute in other countries (even though they are written in black and white).

A good example of that is certain Eastern European countries.

Long story short, I'd love to work in Asia, particularly Indonesia. It's really just about whether I can find a way, legally, to do that.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is that requiring a degree has not improved the educational situation one iota in a single one of these countries.

Teaching positions throughout Asia (especially Thailand) go unfilled while the bureaucrats and politicians actively repel the few people who are willing to travel to the over side of the world and try to teach English in their underfunded, under-resourced mismanaged mickey mouse schools.

Quote:
Beginning in 2015 you will need a degree to teach in ALL of the ASEAN countries...

I believe there is a kind of half-baked plan floating around somewhere that includes this as a sort of possible idea maybe, but is there really any concrete evidence that this is a solid fact?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
The funny thing is that requiring a degree has not improved the educational situation one iota in a single one of these countries.

Teaching positions throughout Asia (especially Thailand) go unfilled while the bureaucrats and politicians actively repel the few people who are willing to travel to the over side of the world and try to teach English in their underfunded, under-resourced mismanaged mickey mouse schools.

It hasn't improved the standard or quality of teachers in the States either but it is still a requirement.

sigmoid wrote:

Quote:
Beginning in 2015 you will need a degree to teach in ALL of the ASEAN countries...

I believe there is a kind of half-baked plan floating around somewhere that includes this as a sort of possible idea maybe, but is there really any concrete evidence that this is a solid fact?

As to 1/2 baked plan... maybe BUT it is NOT about teachers coming in to SE Asia to teach English but a standard for ALL teachers within ASEAN as part of the standardization framework agreed to by SEAMEO.

The days of the backpacker-teacher with nothing more than a chirpy smile and 30-day cert are numbered (~900 days) and the countdown has begun.

Jmthomas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The days of the backpacker-teacher with nothing more than a chirpy smile and 30-day cert are numbered (~900 days) and the countdown has begun.

I think that may be a bit premature to judge... whatever the law says there will still be opportunities for people without degrees (backpackers included) to find work in Asia.

Time for a quick reality check...

In China (I believe) a degree is now "required", today I have seen at least two jobs advertised saying "no degree required". When on the ground in country a lot more opportunities should open up, for those who are looking.

While it is possible that the economic crisis and lack of jobs may bring more graduates into the TEFL world (God help them!), it is a question of supply and demand. While the demand is there and there are not enough teachers with degrees, there will be opportunities for ESL teachers without degrees. Such teachers will need to take a risk though and work illegally, chances are if caught you will just be deported - and cannot return for 99 years, rather than end up in prison.

I would suggest any non-backpacking teachers without a degree should try to get a job first, as you can easily become distracted after you arrive and savings can dwindle rapidly.

(If a degree is not required in China I am sure someone will let me know.... Smile but the principle still applies).
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opportunity for work = yes.

Opportunity for LEGAL work (proper visas and permits) = no.

Yes, people work in China on a business visa rather than a "Z" visa but it is not legal. Pray you don't pizz off the wrong official or your butt is grass and there are a lot of lawnmowers.

Yes, people work in Thailand on multiple 60-day-double-entry tourist visas, pay for short term extensions and do border runs every 90 days to stay legal in the country. Is it legal = no. Can their be consequences = yes.

It also means that if you have problems with your employer (What do you mean you haven't been paid for 3 months?) you have no legal standing to file complaints.

As to going to jail. Where do you think you sit and wait for your deportation? Not likely a 5* hotel. An immigration detention center (jail) could very well be in your future.

Jmthomas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said - it would be illegal

Quote:
Such teachers will need to take a risk though and work illegally,

and yes, if something goes wrong with your "contract" you don't have a leg to stand on.

Usually the deportation process would be quite quick (I think) - unlike the UK, where people want to fight it.

My advice put your hands up, surrender, admit you are in the wrong and you will likely be on almost the next plane out of there with your passport duly stamped. Any time in custody is likely to be minimal. When I said you would not go to prison I was refering to the fact you will not be tried and sentenced to a term in prison - which I think one poster was concerned about.

My reply was aimed at providing an informed assessment of the likely situation in the future for those who are backpacking in Asia and the possibility of working without a degree - and I still believe that such activities will be commonplace. The points you made about illegality are valid now and will be equally valid in the future.
Tudor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My advice put your hands up, surrender, admit you are in the wrong and you will likely be on almost the next plane out of there with your passport duly stamped. Any time in custody is likely to be minimal. When I said you would not go to prison I was refering to the fact you will not be tried and sentenced to a term in prison - which I think one poster was concerned about.

Are you talking generally or just about Thailand? FYI, illegal working in Indonesia can potentially attract a 5 year prison sentence and/or a hefty fine. Although I haven't heard of any English teachers being imprisoned, I've read that illegal workers from other Asian countries have fallen foul of this law.

Many people seem to be under the impression that they can buy their way out of trouble in developing countries, and whilst I don't doubt that this could lessen the punishment, I still think authorities like to make examples of foreigners who think they can flout local laws with impunity.

Ultimately it's up to the individual - to take the risk or not. But if you think the only consequence is to be put back on a plane with a tap on the wrists, you might want to think again.
Jmthomas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of any (native English speaking) teacher receiving a prison sentence (this may be because in many countries it is reluctantly accepted that it is a necessary element of the educational system and if they make an example of one by putting him in prison all the rest will disappear).

What I have been told of is how friends/ex-colleagues of people I have met have been deported but I would agree that this is a fairly small sample and does not mean this is always the case or that this will continue to be the way authorities deal with anyone caught in the future.

It's possibly a good topic for a new thread, to gain a wider view of how people who have been caught working illegally have been dealt with. (Of course it would not include those who have been locked up and will be behind bars for the forseeable future without internet access and therefore will not be able to contribute - so maybe the input will not be very representative! Confused )
Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Thongsook College Reply with quote

http://thongsookinternational.com/index.php/ba-tesol.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: