Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WARNING: E.T.C. English Training Centre/Circuit (Vancouver)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eslwatchdog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: WARNING: E.T.C. English Training Centre/Circuit (Vancouver) Reply with quote

It seems that this school can't keep it's doors open, it has changed locations and names a few times, known both as ETC English Training Circuit, and ETC English Training Centre. I have the feeling the school has probably had financial/legal trouble before and had to move and change names.

Also, the school seems to have changed it's curriculum from TOEFL to Business English. I think they might be paying really low wages to their teachers, if they are not teaching TOEFL, it means they are probably not hiring teachers who are certified, which means you probably don't want to work there. You can find better schools that are truly dedicated to education, not in just taking student's money.

I am sure that most of this bad reputation, is because of the school's owner Jane Solovyov, who I have heard is a really savage and abusive person. Students have told me that she is rude, arrogant, and has publicly humiliated them. It seems to me that on a whole, she is pretty terrible at managing her business, employees, and interacting with students.

I've heard stories from (tutors of) students that went to ETC that say they were unfairly treated, and felt that the school practices bad, and dishonest business, and the owner has questionable ethics.

I'd really recommend staying far away from this place. If the owner treats students that badly, then imagine if you were a teacher there - you probably wouldn't be treated any better. ETC and Jane Solovyov are part of a growing list of ESL schools/owners in Vancouver that are taking advantage of the huge influx of international student's desperate desire for native English instruction.

You don't want to have that on your resume, so do everyone a favor and don't teach at this school, and spread the word on schools that operate unfairly and dishonestly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: