Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BC accreditation = you'll be paid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Algo5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: BC accreditation = you'll be paid? Reply with quote

I've noticed that the British Council has a list of accredited UK centres here:

http://www.britishcouncil.org/accreditation-az-list.htm

and wanted to ask the more experienced folks on this board: would you say that BC accreditation is any guarantee that a school will actually pay you (however low the wages may be)? Or are there cases of teachers being scammed by schools that have BC accreditation?

I was thinking of enquiring r.e. this Wimbledon Language Academy school, as it's quite near where I'm living:
www.wlang.co.uk
Haven't found any dirt on them so far, but y'never know...
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their website makes it look like an Elocution Academy where common folk are taught to ape their betters and pretend to talk posh.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Algo5,

I think Scot47's post should be on another link!

As for BC accreditation, this is no guarantee that an employee will pay you, but generally, if a school has been licensed by the UK Border Agency to enrol international students under Tier 4 of the new TIER 4 points based immigration system, then they are reliable. The BC has nothing to do with salary payment.

It is also easy in England to seek legal recourse or the support of a Union if you are not paid or treated fairly. It is not like the same situation overseas.

Good luck!
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:
As for BC accreditation, this is no guarantee that an employee will pay you, but generally, if a school has been licensed by the UK Border Agency to enrol international students under Tier 4 of the new TIER 4 points based immigration system, then they are reliable. The BC has nothing to do with salary payment.
Additionally, accreditation is, as far as I am aware, a condition of UKBA licensing.

I saw this on the website:
Quote:
Maximum class size is 25.
Shocked

Stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap.
Algo5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks! 25 students per class does seem pretty excessive :s
Oh well...
Kofola

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought class size was one of the requirements for getting BC accreditation?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 ? Is that all? In Africa we regularly had 60 and more.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kofola wrote:
Descriptions of maximum class sizes in publicity materials must be accurate.

Available learning resources and materials should be sufficient for class sizes and the overall numbers of students enrolled.

How well the teacher handles large class sizes will be one of the things an inspector will assess during an accreditation observation.

There is no specific accreditation criterion that limits class sizes.

Quote:
25 ? Is that all? In Africa we regularly had 60 and more.
I know how many students I'd prefer to teach in a class.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kofola wrote:

Summer School at the British Council Hong Kong (run by the Council itself) was packing them in 40 to class!

BC "accreditation" for UK language schools is almost meaningless semantics. All but the very worst fly-by-night, hole-in-the-wall operators can get it. The "inspection" is announced weeks in advance, giving the less-scrupulous (probably about 90%) ample opportunity to send half their punters out on a "study visit", and plonk brand new, never before seen text books in front of the remainder. Rather like the Red Cross visits to POW camps in wartime Germany.

The British Council should put its own pretentious house in order before being allowed to approve others.
oxi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PattyFlipper wrote:
Kofola wrote:

Summer School at the British Council Hong Kong (run by the Council itself) was packing them in 40 to class!

BC "accreditation" for UK language schools is almost meaningless semantics. All but the very worst fly-by-night, hole-in-the-wall operators can get it. The "inspection" is announced weeks in advance, giving the less-scrupulous (probably about 90%) ample opportunity to send half their punters out on a "study visit", and plonk brand new, never before seen text books in front of the remainder. Rather like the Red Cross visits to POW camps in wartime Germany.

The British Council should put its own pretentious house in order before being allowed to approve others.

Nonsense - there were only 37 in my last summer school class, and we had brand new, never before seen photocopies - almost every lesson, except for the ones when I'd finished my quota of photocopies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: