Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, what about the MLI?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCMach1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bindair Dundat wrote:
T

Now, the issue of bringing in one's dependents is significant. The MLI says 8 to 10 weeks. That's a long time for a child, a long time for a lonely person living in a new place and culture, and a long time for the spouse left at home. There is a remedy, however: Dependents can enter on visit visas. The MLI does not recommend doing so, as every new endeavor entails extra effort, expense, and possibly complications, but the option does exist for those who find the prospect of a lengthy separation unbearable. Some will; others will not; and yet others may even view a protracted separation in a positive light.

8-10 weeks is just incompetence at work. The paperwork takes no more than 3-6 weeks to process.

That's the truth. AUS (where I work) is plagued with all the bureaucratic complications and problems that you have in the Gulf and that's all it takes to get visas done here.

My only response is CAVEAT EMPTOR... Be VERY cautious about taking this job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mli_vet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOW TO ME, O LOWLY ARABS!! GIVE ME A GENEROUS EXCESS-BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE!!

FOR I AM A GOOD TEACHER!!

Good one ! ! !

Additionally, I'd like some cardamom qahwa and a platter of Arabic sweets on arrival, please. This will make a great impression on all good teachers. (And don't let your Indian/Paki slaves serve it up--do it yourself, or I'll threaten to reduce the quality of my fantastic teaching!)

MLI Vet
Over and Out
[email protected]
Albulbul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: slaves Reply with quote

English Language Instructors/Teachers/Lecturers in the UAE/Oman/Qatar/KSA/Saudi should remember that they are mere migrant labour.

They may think they are different in kind from the army of workers from the Indian Sub-continent and the Phillipines.

They ain't. They have a better deal, get stacks more money but when it comes to the crunch they are hired hands in a society where slavery is still a living memory - and in a set-up, like the Classical World of Greece and Rome where teachers were commonly slaves
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Masters and slaves Reply with quote

Dear Albulbul,

" . . . like the Classical World of Greece and Rome where teachers were commonly slaves."

You mean - we're not anymore, somewhere? OK, we do get to go home at night, but it's been my experience that everywhere in the world I've taught, if you begin to consider yourself anything more than a "small replaceable cog in the big machine", you're kidding yourself. I've often thought it rather ironic that teachers, accorded so high a status in the Qu'ran, get so little respect in the Middle East. As a "service profession",
it's not one that attracts most Saudi males. But then, where in the world DO teachers get much respect?
Regards,
John
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just check? Are we ESL slaves or prostitutes?
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Freedom Now Reply with quote

Dear dmb,

Yes - except when we're not.

Regards,
John
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: slaves Reply with quote

Albulbul wrote:
...they are hired hands in a society where slavery is still a living memory - and in a set-up, like the Classical World of Greece and Rome where teachers were commonly slaves

But... but... We have PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT! We have PUBLICATIONS! Some of us have even PRESENTED at CONFERENCES!!

...and we wear ties to work (just like the bellboys at the big hotels).

(Not to mention our world-renowned Communicative Competence! Wink)
tefllifer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: MLI Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be nice if more people actually AT MLI NOW replied! There is so much of ancient history and hearsay going on in this discussion.
Just trying to deal with facts here...
MAs by DL is a real issue and has not been resolved - nobody has been fired and any contractual changes won't happen for a while.
Yes, it takes a long time - maybe nearly 3 months to get your family over - but forewarned is forearmed - if you can't cope with it, or can't afford the alterative - don't take the contract.
Housing is found for new teachers - returning teachers wishing to find their own places have had difficult times - this deal was half-thought thru by AmidEast and now they are not at MLI to deal with it. After a few guinea pigs have tried to get their own places, the procedure and the no-go zones should be clear - but someone needs to write up a list of guidelines.
Yes, some teachers are still losing 10% - but this is not an issue for new hires.
Yes, it takes a long time to get on the payroll - but again forewarned is forearmed - so bring a stash with you.
Yes, administration can be difficult - but this is the Middle East and then add in the mili factor - so who's surprised?
Read the handbook, look at the website, ask the questions at interview - the interview team doesn't want a bunch of disontents arriving so they will give you a relatively honest answer.
Yes there is a new team of admin who may not have settled in yet - yes the mili administration has changed recently - so more changes are in the pipeline.
However, nothing I've heard from my friends there indicates anything as extreme as 'avoid MLI like the plague' as someone indicated - just ask all your questions at interview, read the small print, email more questions, read factual current answers on this forum and make a balanced decision based on YOUR needs and perceptions
Just DON'T go there thinking you can beat the system and that what you have been told won't apply to YOU and that some miracle will change everything in YOUR favour - it won't.
Be prepared to be flexible and understand that changes are not the responsibility of the people you deal with - it is some greater, higher invisible force which is a law unto itself...
That said - most contracts in the ME have a wonderful clause which says 'this contract may be changed by the first party at any time without warning!'
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tefllifer,

I have communicated with people that are there right now and/or have left in the last couple months. As to why they won't come on here and post, who knows--- that is their choice.

But, based on what they have said, plus what you said in this message, I stand by my original advice:

I'd avoid this place like the plague, unless, of course, you are desperate for a job. When they get their act together, I will gladly change my advice to people. All I am hearing is negatives - green management - more changes in upper management - problems with military clinics - months to get your pay - months to get your family there - housing problems - furniture problems. The only positive thing that I have heard lately is that the students are mostly nice. And, most are happy with the pay package, if not with its delayed arrival.

Far be it from me to expect perfection from an employer in the Middle East, but right now I feel that this place has crossed too many lines. Hopefully they will get their act together, but right now it seems that there are more changes being added to the changes. They are not the worst employer in the Emirates at the moment, but ---

I just hope to able to come on here next year and say that most of these problems are being solved.

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
- housing problems -

They told me in the interview that the housing problems were solved. But what they *didn't* tell me (this from the brochure) was that MARRIED employees who live in AD are expected to vacate their apartments at the end of the first year and find their own housing.

So it takes two to three months to get the family there, and then just as they're getting settled in it's time to start looking for a new place.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: MLI Reply with quote

tefllifer wrote:
the interview team doesn't want a bunch of disontents arriving so they will give you a relatively honest answer.

With most things being relative, Mr. Lifer, I'm tempted to refine your statement a bit.

I'd think that the admins certainly don't want people who will be bitterly disappointed and will bolt and run or raise havoc; however, telling little white lies, including material omissions, in the hope of attracting people who may be somewhat disappointed but will eventually accept the status quo would be a viable strategy.
mli_vet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFLiffer writes, "Wouldn't it be nice if more people actually AT MLI NOW replied!"

Hmmmm . . . you seem to know quite a bit about MLI for not working there yourself !?! And you also seem pretty quick--perhaps a bit too quick--to try and salvage whatever's left of the MLI image/reputation.

The next deductive step is not too hard to make . . .

But you're not really disagreeing w/ what our previous posters have said about serious salary problems, visa/sponsor wait etc. Just trying to put a positive spin on things, it might seem. Are you getting any extra for this valuable service to MLI?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . wake me up, I'm falling asleep! Not convincing enough yet, but keep working on it. MLI will get a few nibbles no doubt at the upcoming interviews.

MLI Vet
Over and Out
[email protected]
grand fromage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No current MLI teachers? What about yours truly?! Am I just air? Wink Unfortunately, I live and breathe MLI 5 days a week, 7 hours a day. What about my posts in this thread? Have they gone unnoticed? 3 months for your family to join you, they say; keep dreaming! Just ask last year's recruits. I can deal with all the crap they throw at us quite well by now, but they have really pissed me off by removing one of the last freedoms we had: the ability to take a day off by calling them last minute in the morning. Everyone has a bad day now and then, right? Well, not according to the new rules set just after the new commander took over. Now, whether you're faking it or on your deathbed, you must come in and see a military doctor (after getting the right paperwork and signatures to even see a doctor Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Crying or Very sad ) . I remember an AMIDEAST coordinator that I don't miss very much (M.R.) saying that it was just a reflection of bedouine hospitality and concern for our well-being. I've never heard anything so stupid before! I figure it's just about power.
tefllifer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: MLI Reply with quote

Hi
GF - don't be upset - yes, we know you are current - but are you the only person current at MLI who is prepared to state an opinion?
Regarding family delays and such - my point was that if people are told this info at interview or in a handbook or prior to going to MLI, they shouldn't then turn around and complain about it. I think things were chaotic and delayed this last year due to new management - maybe things will be better this next time - if not, then that will be time to really go public with the screw-ups - however, it's a well known fact in the ME that people (administrators) don't learn from their mistakes - why not? Well, basically they don't care and there is no accountability. We're all slaves of some sort and replaceable.
MLI Vet - no don't work at MLI - however, in ME, if you get negative, you just go crazy - so have to clutch at straws to keep positive and attempt to rationale things - yes, I know that's a joke as there is very little logic.
GF - the issue about sick leave sounds awful - inhuman - tell us more. Is that the only new development under your new boss?
mli_vet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: MLI Reply with quote

tefllifer wrote:
We're all slaves of some sort and replaceable.

Calling all slaves! Apply now! Calling all slaves, slave-drivers, slavemarkets! Come and get your slave package waiting for you at MLI. Excellent benefits and slave conditions like no other slave package. Bring your own chains and give us the keys please.

Slaves only need apply.

MLI Vet
Over and Out
[email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: