Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opportunity/Possibility for University work in Chile?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B0RGNINE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Opportunity/Possibility for University work in Chile? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have some questions about finding university work in Chile, but before I start, I just need to mention that I cant' get the search function to work on my computer for some reason. I've tried three different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, and Explorer) and all I get is a blank white screen when I hit the search button. Anyone else have this problem? I'm assuming it's something going on with my computer. Anyway... just had to mention that before I have 10 people berate me for not knowing how to/being too lazy to perform a search.

I'm interested in working in Chile. I know there is work for English teachers there, but I'm more interested in teaching adults, and more specifically, doing university work.

About me (list-style to save time/space... I tend to be long-winded):

AGE/SEX/MARITAL -

36/male/single without children or dependants

EDUCATION -

MA (Curriculum and Instruction - TESL)
BA (English Lit.)

QUALIFICATIONS -

Colorado State Teaching License (Secondary English Language Arts)
Colorado State Professional Teaching Endorsement (TESL - Linguistically Diverse Education)

EXPERIENCE -

April 2010 � Present: teaching English conversation classes at a private language school Chiba, Japan

April 2009 � August 2009: Taught accredited English classes at a college in Kawasaki, Japan

January 2006 � August 2008: Taught English for Academic Purposes at a university Intensive English Program in Denver, Colorado, USA

July 1999 � July 2002: Was in the JET program as an ALT in Sapporo, Japan

PUBLICATIONS -

not published

-----------------
I'm currently trying to find a university position in the Tokyo area (because I speak Japanese, and have an established social circle - difficult to give up) but competition is really tight right now for uni positions, and I need to consider other options if things don't work out here.

My education and qualifications I know aren't bad, but there are a lot of people out there with similar quals but who have more experience than me. And I'm not published (I may start working on this soon, but even so, I doubt anything will be ready to include on my CV before the spring which is when my contract is up here in Japan). Unfortunately, the schooling for the teaching license, ESL endorsement and my MA wasn't cheap, and I have some hefty student loan debt in the States. I wouldn't be so concerned about money otherwise and would consider teaching anywhere I think I might be happy living regardless of how much I'd be paid, but under my current circumstances if I'm unable get a handle on this debt over the next couple of years, I'll be under it for a very very long time. It's rather a make or break situation for me at this point. I wouldn't mind leaving Asia for someplace new if I can make enough money to pay my bills in the states, save a little and have some fun too. South America has always been enticing, but I always assumed I wouldn't be able to make enough, but I recently talked to a friend who worked in Chile for a time and he said that there is money to be made there, but he's not familiar with the particulars of uni positions.

Considering the above, what kind of options do I have available for me in Chile? Under a realistic scenario, what can I expect to be paid, how much might I be able to save, and what kind of paid time off is offered?

Thank you everyone.

NOTE: you may see a modified version of this same posting on a couple of the other boards. Thanks for understanding.
Daddyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Opportunity/Possibility for University work in Chile? Reply with quote

B0RGNINE wrote:
Hello all,

I have some questions about finding university work in Chile,

ya know theres a real simple two-word answer to that question that corresponds more or less to any destination in Latin America, which is - "it depends."
Cat77

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are looking for university work? I think that with the kind of qualifications you have, there are many universities in Chile that would hire you. I came to Chile through a program called Teachingchile.com
It's a very good program. Through this program I worked at a university called DUOC. TeachingChile works specifically with this university. You can also send your resume directly to some universities in Chile. A good one here is called Santo Tomas. Universidad de Chile and Universidad Catolica or two reputable universities in Chile.
I should let you know though that in Chile, it is better to physically be present when giving your application. It takes awhile for things to get done in Chile sometimes, and it's best when you physically present yourself. Things don't run as smoothly here as they do in the states all the time, so just keep that in mind. You have to have some patience with things because the level of efficiency is not the same. I however, enjoy working here a lot because of the fact that things are more laid back, but it can be difficult if you have expectations that things will run the same. Chile is a great place to work and live and English teachers are needed and welcomed with open arms here. If you want to work here, I don't think it would be difficult for you at all. Schools love having native speakers. However, you might have to dig a little and do some research to find what you are looking for.
B0RGNINE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Opportunity/Possibility for University work in Chile? Reply with quote

Daddyo wrote:
B0RGNINE wrote:
Hello all,

I have some questions about finding university work in Chile,

ya know theres a real simple two-word answer to that question that corresponds more or less to any destination in Latin America, which is - "it depends."

Daddyo, why even bother replying?
B0RGNINE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat77, thanks for the tips. I appreciate the info. How did you find working at the university? How was the salary and the workload?
Cat77

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found work through the Teachingchile.com program. That's the program that I mentioned that works with DUOC.

I had 5 classes about 15 hours a week. I was paid about 335,000 pesos which is about 700 dollars US. It was enough to live on and I was fine. I only dipped into savings for traveling purposes. I could have worked more hours if I wanted to work extra.
I think the amount of hours you work depends on the university and how much they have available. Also, their salary may be different from the one that I received. I don't think it would be any less than that though.
Maybe you want to check out the program Teachingchile (there's a website..it's called Teachingchile.com) For me it was a good way to get accustomed to life in Chile and start working at a university here. It's up to you.
I was a teacher in the states too, and I thought about working at a university after I worked at DUOC but I decided not to pursue that path. There are many many different universities here and being a native speaker is always to your benefit. Having credentials will help you too.
Cat77

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I misread your message. I thought it said how did you find work at the university. Sorry.
I loved working at DUOC. Sometimes my students weren't motivated (it was a little like working with 7th and 8th graders Smile but I loved it. They were funny and respectful. Again, things run at a different pace here so you can't have the same expectations. I had to pay for photocopies unless I wanted to have them ready two days in advance. Things like that are different, but that kind of stuff doesn't bother me. I always recieved support when I need it..and things like that.
But I mean I don't know too much about working in a university in general. That was just my experience with DUOC, and I came through a program so I'm not sure, but I can imagine it's similar.
Don Alan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived and worked in Chile and I wouldn't support schemes like teachingchile.com because:

1. They charge you quite a lot of money to get a job.

2. If you are working in a university you will get paid less than half you should be (I know I worked in a uni in Chile)

3. You are just providing cheap native teachers and driving down the employment costs for private business. Other teachers who are living in Chile and trying to make their lives their for longer periods will suffer for those who come for one year experiences and don't care how much they get paid, but then of course would care if it was their own country... have a thought for other English teachers who are not just passing through
karynr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, why work in Chile when you're already so close to South Korea? It's so common that schools there pay for housing, flight and visa cost, while still paying upwards of $2,000USD a month, that it's easy to save money/pay off debt, etc.

I worked in Vina del mar/ Valparaiso for a little over a year in two different institutes (each part-time), lived frugally (I certainly wasn't as qualified as you are...but that doesn't always matter) and still came back to the U.S. with more debt that I had left with. It was certainly WORTH it, and once I get MY student debt in check I plan on returning.

I'm not certain about how the University system might work. I saw a posting for a full-time professor in Antafogasta with a starting pay of $2600 USD, but take out taxes, housing, and flight cost, you could definitely be making more in South Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: