Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused about net pay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Confused about net pay Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Me and my wife (and our two small children) are planning to leave Poland in the next couple of years to experience life in another country, and we are seriously considering the Czech Republic. We are trying to calculate how much we could earn in the CR but a lot of the information, ahem, doesn't add up...

If I continue working as a proofreader for Polish companies my monthly gross pay will be around 36,000kr. From what I've read on these forums, that seems to be a pretty good salary, especially as we would prefer to live in a small town. My wife could also pull in 20-25,000 by translating. But how much would our net pay be? From some of the threads on this forum it seems that people deduct around 20-25% from their gross salary to get net, but I get closer to 40%:

It seems pretty clear that tax is a flat 15%. Social insurance for self-employed persons, according to the CSSZ website, should come to just over 30%: http://www.cssz.cz/en/social-security-premiums/insurance-rates/

Now, if the Czech system is similar to the Polish one, social security payments, along with expenses such as part of your rent, transport, telecoms expenditure etc are tax deductible. So for an income of 36,000, you would first subtract social security payments (30.6% of 36,000 is 11,000) and other expenses (say a generous 10,000), meaning your taxable income is 15,000. Subtract 15% of that (2,250) and you're left with 12,250. Add the 10,000 expenses back on, which are living costs after all, and the net pay comes to 22,250kr. All in all that is a deduction of just under 40%.

It's clear that someone is making a huge mistake in their calculations. I really hope it's me! Can anyone help me out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: