Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what's up with Sunny-side up kindergarten?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cassimira

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: what's up with Sunny-side up kindergarten? Reply with quote

Has anybody seen the ad for this here on Dave's? I was really really interested in the position since I first heard about the kindergarten a few years ago... I actually applied after the first job posting, which was several months ago but was told I got my application in too late and that she had already narrowed down her candidates to final interviews. Now the position is being posted again?? And has been posted previously on other job sites since last spring??

Has anybody actually had an interview with them or worked there? I'm curious as to what's going on with this... i was pretty crushed when I didn't even make it through to an interview. Should I try again?

Some thoughts: the director is very, very picky and still hasn't found anyone she thinks is "right," OR there is some sort of weird scam going on. What do you guys think?
griffitp12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, do you mean Sunnyside kindergarten?
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See? This is the problem people run into when trying to post on Dave's when at a Denny's...

NCTBA
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they may have gotten down to the final candidates that looked good on paper but failed a face-to-face interview.

That, or the people bailed out for greener pastures.
cassimira

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, I meant Sunny-side Up kindergarten, as I said. It's a small kindy in the Saitama area.

Thank you, glenski, for your response... that was what I was thinking too, but it looks like the headmaster has reposted this same ad on different sites at least 4 times over the past 8 months that I have come across, which seems a bit excessive. It's a pretty small kindergarten, it looks like, so finding someone on here who's heard of it might be a long shot, but I thought it might be worth a try.
ripslyme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/zooey.cgi?read=22213
what's up it being "one special FEMALE preschool/elementary immersion English teacher"?
(their ALL CAPS, not mine)

Oh yeah and I like the bit about the owner being a "California native--Stanford grad". Is that supposed to impress potential applicants or something? Get over yourself lady! lol.
genesis315

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"restaurant experience also a boon"!

Sounds like she is running a nightclub for toddlers.
kotoko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"feed the ... turkeys"

I know where to go for my Xmas dinner this year then...
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's getting that many ads in such a short time, then people are bailing out after a face-to-face, or after a week on the job. I know a place in Hokkaido that advertises every 3-4 months and has similar issues.

This line at the bottom raises a red flag, too (as if the work environment doesn't!):
"ability to work independently as well as under the auspices of a fairly strong-minded director"

As for advertising only for one gender, someone ought to tell them that it's not legal anymore to do that. 99% sure about that.

And, what's 20,000 yen per month for car expenses? Too much, IMO.

And as for that "Stanford grad", it cuts nothing with me, especially when you see all the mistakes in spelling and punctuation.
nrbrown2002

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Just to let everyone know that this position is legit and it isn't a scam. [I used to work there for two years.]

I think in order to be fair, I�m going to approach this in an objective manner.
Although, I am amused at some of your comments [and I don�t think her husband raises turkeys these days so, out of luck there!] I�m basically going to write about the good points for the moment.

1. The house she sublets to you is pretty much a good deal for Japanese standards. You have a little garden outside and you can plant anything [although I don�t have a green thumb so, whatever I planted died on me].And there is enough space to host parties, decorate, or invite people over.
2. The stars are beautiful to watch and that�s one thing I miss about moving.
3. You are one of three to four �foreigners� [ie. Canada, America, etc] living in Kamikawa machi, so basically you are surprised when you see another foreigner �invade� your town. Case in point, you will learn some Japanese. Or maybe survival Japanese because people who do know Japanese won�t really progress as much as they think they will. You will also feel �welcomed� in this town. They aren�t �snobby�. Although I never really met my neighbors until I did National Clean Up Day last year.
4. The Japanese assistants are fantastic to work and hang out with. They will pretty much be your saviors if you need someone to help you with anything. You will make strong bonds with them, and they are very accepting - willing to accommodate you.
5. The school is only 10 min away from your house so, you can bike or walk. I honestly took the car cause I wanted to enjoy those precious mins of sleep. And you won�t have to teach anywhere else but at the school.
6. You won�t have to create any lesson plans. She does that for you! Although if you do teach the adult class than you will have do lesson plans, but it�s very easy.
7. The kindergarten kids are very sweet and you will start to have favorites. The kids also like to be dirty and won�t be afraid of insects. They will enjoy catching cicadas or you will be their cicada capture helper for those two [noisy] months. They will also speak their mind! And it can be a good or bad thing.
8. The car. You basically do need a car. The closest train station is Tansho, and it only passes every hour.
9. The closest big city is Takasaki. Forget about the other smaller cities they are pretty much dead pass 11pm. Although great recycle shops! And there is a cinema, and a big shopping mall close by [again need a car for that]
10. Good access to Tokyo. Although two hours [by train] can take a long time, but Tokyo becomes a fun excursion each time you go.
11. Great access to a sento and onsens. Love those!

Ok well, I think that covers the positives.
I'll write about the negatives tomorrow.

Last edited by nrbrown2002 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
refikagurz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: sunnyside up Reply with quote

I applied for a position at Sunnyside Up late last summer. I am a fully qualified and experienced teacher who would have met all the requirements for the postion. I received a curt response from the Stanford grad telling me that she wouldn't hire me because a former (age 60) teacher had "betrayed her trust." (I am in my mid-fifties) I had never been so unfairly discriminated against in all my many years of teaching. Her tactlessness was also very surprising and unprofessional. Good thing,however, that I found out about this aspect of her demeanor before I had gone through the trouble and expense of interviews, etc.. had they been arranged...
rxk22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: sunnyside up Reply with quote

refikagurz wrote:
I applied for a position at Sunnyside Up late last summer. I am a fully qualified and experienced teacher who would have met all the requirements for the postion. I received a curt response from the Stanford grad telling me that she wouldn't hire me because a former (age 60) teacher had "betrayed her trust." (I am in my mid-fifties) I had never been so unfairly discriminated against in all my many years of teaching. Her tactlessness was also very surprising and unprofessional. Good thing,however, that I found out about this aspect of her demeanor before I had gone through the trouble and expense of interviews, etc.. had they been arranged...

From reading the job description, seems like a loony bin to me.
alyssia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I work at Sunny-side Up currently, and while the "Stanford grad" is picky, she has good reasons for doing so, she wants to make sure the person she hires is a good fit for the school. I mostly love working here, the kids have really stole my heart and the Japanese assistants are wonderful. It is a little stressful sometimes working with my boss, but is really nice and just wants the teaches and assistants to communicate with her. She has specific ideas about what should happen and how it should happen, so it is good if you are really flexible and willing to just do how she thinks it should be done. Kamikawa machi is a great place to live, although it is in the middle of no-where. Also, there is great food at the school!.. lunch time is always one of m favorite times. I love that the school is small and you get to see brothers and sisters together and get to know the whole family, not just the one child. I hope this helps.
seklarwia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alyssia wrote:
...so it is good if you are really flexible and willing to just do how she thinks it should be done.

Nice to know that people who have come to really have a go at teaching are going to have their input valued by this employer Rolling Eyes

So whilst the school, helpers, kids and location may not be all that bad, you get to work for an ageist, sexist, meglomaniac with an inflated idea of their importance because they're a Stanford grad (I had to google the place to find out the significance or lack there of. It would be funny if their degree was in something totally unrelated to teaching English)... on to a winner here Laughing

I'd sign up right now, but I'm sure my narcissism would clash with Ms Stanford's, I like to share my ideas and opinions, I don't like really young kids, I have a completely rational fear of turkeys (both alive and stuffed at xmas) and I tried to be a waitress as a child but my fists and tray had issues with the nasty rich old men with wondering hands.

I'm not sure she'd want me. Though whether it'd be for the issues mentioned above or because I have black hair and somebody with black hair betrayed her in the past is for anyone to guess. Wink
midnightpariah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in the world are the 20,000 yen a month car expenses for? You could buy your own car and make monthly payments for that much. Plus, I'm sure you have to pay for your own gas as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: