Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20,000 dollars in Cambodia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winterwawa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: 20,000 dollars in Cambodia Reply with quote

I have now in Korea teaching at a University. I have been in this god forsaken country for 10 years. During that time I have been married and divorsed twice. Made and lost almost 80,000 dollars and am thinking it is time to move on. I don't want to go back the USA because there is nothing for me there. I am 54 years old, and will have about 20,000 dollars in February 2009.

My questions are

1. Could a guy my age get a job in Cambodia

2. How long will 20,000 dollars last if I decide not to work.

Thanks for any responses.
BigGuy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Winterwawa. You're right my reply was not helpful. I was drunk when I wrote it and I should not be so casual and confident as I too navigate the murky waters of mid life.

I think a guy our age should be able to find decent work in Cambodia. I think age and experience still count for a lot there.

As far as not working and just living off the 20K, an amount like that run out after a couple of years of even frugal living.

Why not get a job there and just stash the 20K and save it for later? 54 is not that old; you still have a ways to go.

Sorry again for my flippant reply. I should not use the internet late at night.
saint57

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost thirty, but I was thinking of "retiring" for one year in Cambodia after I've saved some money working here in Malaysia. In my head $24,000 is the magic number for one year.
BigGuy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santis57,

Being almost 30 and having 24K and thinking of "retiring" for one year in Cambo is very different from what Winterwawa and I are facing: mid 50s and "what to do"?

24K for a year is 2K a month; you could live like a prince in Cambo with that for a year. After that? What you gonna do?
winterwawa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding. I wish I had had 24 grand when I was thirty. I didn't even begin my esl career until I was 41. If I had it to do over I would

1. never have gotten married
2. saved like mad until I turned 50
3. moved to India where I could live like a king for the rest of my life.

Apology accepted BigGuy. With the amount of cash you have, you should pic door number three above. Or keep saving until your 60 and then choose door # 3. With that much cash you could buy a wife in India. Very Happy
Vanica

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you move to India and work online as an editor or translator? It sounds to me that you like it there and the cost of living is not high. Where in India would you like to go?

I have money saved and I am a translator working for companies that have never seen me. I just have to decide where I, and my five year old, want to go. She likes Dora, gamelan, the North Pole and Disney World.
guangho

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked as a copywriter and editor for a news organization in China- essentially correcting mangled Chinglish into something more palatable for mass consumption. It was a rip-roaring good time so I wonder if I can do something similar online. Any tips?

Also, something about India and Cambodia both call to me- along the lines of super cheap tropical fruits and an appealing lawlessness. I just wouldn't want to work there and be at the mercy of said lawlessness.
sidjameson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that if you worked at a university in Korea you could save US20k a YEAR! So if I were you Id go all out and save for a few years. In my experience 20k wouldnt last you very long in Cambodia if you are tempted by the transitory pleasures of the senses. If it did, what next? 57/58 looking for another TEFL gig?

OP, I too am curious about India. How much would let you live like a king? And can a white man get/buy a wife there no matter how much money he has?
DrVanNostrand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were 54 with $24k to my name (you made no mention of any retirement funds), I think I'd stay in Korea and save as much money as I could for as long as I could, investing wisely while I could, to keep me going into and throughout retirement.

Based on everything that I hear about Korea, you should reasonably be able to save $15-18k per year living a relatively comfortable lifestyle.

Elevan more years (taking you to 65), would bring you to approx. $189,000 in savings.

Start investing and compounding along the way and you'll find yourself well over $200,000 at age 65.

Wouldn't take long to build up a respectable nest egg, allowing you to move to any of a number of third world countries which would enable you to finish out your retirement years living like a king as you so desire.
lost_gypsy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: you kidding? Reply with quote

you are in your fifties, and unless you have a family history of dying young (say, 60s), then why worry?

Do as two others suggested. PUT THAT MONEY AWAY and let it collect interest. Play with about 5.5k in the mutual fund markets (1.5k in high risk/quick return/2k in med. risk/quick return/2k in low risk/slow return). Live off the money you make teaching/editing/lecturing (Vietnam and Cam are the new growth areas for business *Kaching!).

And 15 years later, THEN retire...live off my good investment advice! Wink
jeffreytaos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you will never be a hippy with an annual income of 24,000 us greenbacks. Let me ask you this? What do you teach kids about money? about the environment? about sustainability? These are only wuestions to ponder. Could you put twenty thousand in the bank, go to camboja on four and live like someone who has more money than most, enjoy it while it last, and know there was something to fall back on in crisis times? What could you do if you challenged yourself to break free of old habits, comfort zones, thrills, and luxuries? An adventure certainly awaits you. Money it seems is rarely the solution. I heard for a hundred or so a month you could have a flat in Camboja, so that is 1200.00 of your four thousand. beer money???OK coffee...I heard there are two kinds of coffee shops, starbucks and the local places....its just food for thought my friend. By the way, what do you do for fun when all else fails, I mean read, write, draw, paint, study, ??????And this is not really directed to you specifically...we are all thinking of these things...like what makes us happy and how do we build the world that we really want to live in. Somehow in all this, I am trying to hint at, what is sustainable living....If you did not spend the 20,000 on hotels and wine and women and whatever like that, perhaps you would have enough to start a business that increased your wealth and provided something for others. only ideas...Confused Cool Laughing
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flat 100-250
beer 400
food 300
other 250

= 1200/month, minimum, plus or minus

Cambodia. Try it and See. Cool
matthew156

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just have to decide where I, and my five year old, want to go. She likes Dora, gamelan, the North Pole and Disney World.

have you thought of Antarctica?

Matt

ps. good if you have happy feet but those psycho penguins from the new york zoo thought it was boring there
cha muir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness,

It's been years since I have read these forums. Seeing Khmerhit here plugging Cambodia is really a blast from the past!

Still Having Fun,

Charles
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khmerhit wrote:
flat 100-250
beer 400
food 300
other 250

= 1200/month, minimum, plus or minus

Cambodia. Try it and See. Cool

$400/month for beer! $300/month for food! You must be on a liquid diet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: