Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Health care costs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddyo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Health care costs Reply with quote

A little off topic, but still relevant to those newcomers who are living and working in Colombia. I keep hearing about Sisben and EPS but my head is swimming. Do they both offer volunary coverage?
windowlicker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little unclear about what you mean by voluntary coverage and I've never heard of Sisben before, but I'll tell you what I know about EPS.

An EPS is a category of health care coverage. Under the EPS system, all Colombians theoretically have access to health care (though in practice it doesn't work this way). It's sort of a combination of government-run and private health care. As a worker, you choose which EPS you would like to provide you health insurance. You go to their clinics for primary care, and they cover your bills according to your coverage plan when you need other medical care. Whenever I have been, the co-pay has been very low ($2,000 pesos), but I don't know how much this varies across the different providers, or according to the services you receive, etc.

Depending on the type of contract you have with your employer, every month I believe you either pay 4% of your salary (while your employer pays an additional 4%), or you pay 8% of your salary (and your employer pays nothing...this would happen under the "prestacion de servicios" contract, which most language schools like International House would be getting for you). This money goes to the government, who then distribute it to the different EPS companies, depending on how many customers they have. Theoretically, any Colombian who doesn't have a job can get assigned to an EPS (I don't think they have a choice of which company the get) and receive health care for free. In practice it doesn't work this way...I suppose in large part due to the absence of EPS providers in rural areas, probably partly due to ignorance and lack of knowledge that this policy even exists, and likely also due to bureaucratic obstacles to being assigned an EPS (especially when you're a displaced person or from a rural area and have never been assigned a cedula/have no proof of identity)

As far as I know, if you are an official employee of a company (are not working under the table and have either a "prestacion de servicios" contract or a regular employment contract) you are required to have health insurance. I am unclear whether or not you still pay into an EPS if you choose a private health care plan...but a private plan would probably be out of your price range unless you are really making the big bucks.
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windowlicker wrote:
I'm a little unclear about what you mean by voluntary coverage...

Methinks "someone" has taken a powder...

NCTBA
Cruiser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never Ceased To Be Amazed wrote:
windowlicker wrote:
I'm a little unclear about what you mean by voluntary coverage...

Methinks "someone" has taken a powder...

NCTBA

Nah. I'm here. But pm me if you want to chat, ok Fezziwig? Have to stick with job related content here. There's a good chap!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: