Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving money in Chile
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonginC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Saving money in Chile Reply with quote

Is it possible to make enough money in Chile to live modestly but comfortably while putting away some savings at the end of it all? Or is Chile more of a break-even kind of place?

Background info about me:
Experienced teaching in the USA (5 years)
New to TEFL
CELTA-certified
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your experience and what are you other quals? Are you K-12 certified for public schools in the US?
SonginC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught English (composition) at a university in the US for three years, and I was an English tutor there for six years, working with native and non-native English-speakers. I am not K-12 certified in the US.
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

List out your quals...sounds like you'd be qualified for a good university position in the region and your best bet would be to get an 'in the meantime' type of job at an institute while you learn Spanish and network your way into something good.
SonginC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks spanglish Smile

BA, English
MA, Rhetoric and Composition (Coursework was focused on teaching English/composition, with courses in linguistics and teaching to non-native English-speakers; I will bring transcripts with me to Chile to attest to this)
CELTA

Is it possible to get uni jobs in Chile teaching English as a US-citizen? And would they pay well enough to live on (and, as per the topic of this thread, put a bit of money away)?
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only got experience in Colombia. Here, with some networking and luck you could get a good uni job, that would allow you to live decently, save and get you a work visa (Los Andes and Externado seem to be the best unis to work for). From my research it appears that you can the same in Chile and your quals look good.
Don Alan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be lucky to break even in Chile. Salaries are low and the cost of living quite high.
SonginC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both!

I will definitely look into the possibility of university work. I wasn't sure whether I would be eligible, but that would really be great!

As for not even breaking even... blah. Surely it is possible, even if it means working at more than one school and having private students. I'm not in TEFL to make a lot of money (as no one teaching in SA is, I'm sure), but it would be nice to have *some* savings to show for it in the end....
Don Alan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking even, yes, but wasn't your post about saving money? I repeat, that is very unlikely...
dackinator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Alan wrote:
You will be lucky to break even in Chile. Salaries are low and the cost of living quite high.

I dont agree with this, santiago is cheap. Most teachers I know here have money left at the end of each month, to save towards trips, flights, etc. You can live well and have a social life off $400/450mil a month depending on where you live, and its not hard to find extra private lessons if you need more money.
jprimm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, and I am here now, Santiago is not cheap. If you want to live like a college student perhaps it is. But a nice 1 bedroom furnished apartment in a safe area is going to run, everything included, 650 to 700. Food in many areas is much more expensive than the U.S.
D�chas11

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm living in chile and make enough to put a little aside in savings each month, but i'm not in santiago, im further south
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - you'd pay about the same for a furnished place in a nice part of Bogota, maybe more depending on the neighborhood.
Dave0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: full furnished place Reply with quote

More often than not, its a break even place. Wages are fairly low compared to Asia, and cost of living is fairly high. It is possible to find a good job at a university making a pretty decent amount, which takes connections or some luck, but you realistically can't expect to save more than 1000 dollars over the course of a year, especially if you consider the flight.
jammex88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santiago is NOT cheap. Very hard to even live well on a teacher salary. If you are at a university in a full time position maybe. But even then saving and living well...forget it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: