Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

public schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: public schools Reply with quote

does anyone have info on getting job directly at public schools. have eu passport and qts. have only basic Italian language skills.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean as a regular, full-time teacher at one school? Appointments (at least for the secondary-school sector) are made at a provincial level, rather than at each school. You'd have to be on the "graduatoria" - list of recognised teachers held at the provincial offices. Teachers with seniority get first pick of the schools.

If you want a lettore-type job (language assistant to the regular teacher) then you'll need to get to know the school, the teachers etc, and make an application directly to that school. I've never formally applied to any of the schools I've worked in as I managed to get to know teachers in other ways (i.e. doing Cambridge testing and preparation classes for them via another organisation).

At elementary school level, there don't seem to be mother-tongue teachers as either regulars of language assistants as far as I know. Neither is there an equivalent NET scheme in place.

You don't need to have fluent Italian skills, though they certainly help.
dackinator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory the PON (european fund for southern italy) means there are large funds for schools to hire english teachers with. When I was in Italy I heard a lot of teachers tell me about this mythical fund.

But in reality its a maze of bureaucracy and I never found one person who had worked in a public school. Perhaps if you had the right connections... but there is a huge number of native Italian teachers looking for schools, and I'm sure they would get priority over any foreigner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: