Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dodgy emails!!! Warning!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Dodgy emails!!! Warning!!!! Reply with quote

Hello Forum

Just wanted to give a warning about some strange and very dodgy e-mails telling you that an award is coming your way if you disclose all of your bank details as well as pay a processing fee up front . Watch it boys and girls it is a scam of major league proportions and you will get burned if you follow their instructions . YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED .
yaramaz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too worried about that, as I am due to receive a huge amount of money (One trillion, nine hundred and ninety one million, four hundred thousand and three dollars and eight cents, I believe he said) from a charming young Nigerian orphan after I helped him to gain access to his esteemed father's estate via a locked bank account in Lagos. I'll have enough money once that cheque clears to afford my award.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: I will make you rich Reply with quote

I thought everyone on Planet Terra was now aware of the "Nigerian Advance Fee Scam".

Seems not. Some are still naive enough to believe it all.
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Orphan my ass !!! Reply with quote

Hi Yaramaz

Yeah I heard all about that one ,funny how when you suddenly start asking a few pertinent questions to verify their credibility ,they disappear .Let me know how that one pans out but I think we all know how its going to end .
This latest one is the best yet ,gave an e-mail address to contact the paymaster plus a dodgy website for a bank ,yet the processing fee doesn't go to the bank that has the cash but to some nameless middle man who once you give them this fee is gone apparently this is happening all the time on a global scale and the police can't catch them they close down in less than 24 hours and set up again under another name weeks later and start all over again ,begs belief really .
Take care out there ,theres no such thing as a free lunch .
yaramaz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot, Ollie... guys... I was joking. J.O.K.I.N.G. I was not serious. I was having a laugh. Do you honestly think my posting wasn't tongue in cheek?
I actually collect those Nigerian mailings just for a good laugh. I love the variety of content they display, and the wonderful creativity!

Gawd this place is seriously lacking in levity.
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Dodgy e-mails and the wise ass yaramaz Reply with quote

Yes you feisty dame we both knew you were taking the wee wee (or at least I did ) just trying to milk the thread thats all for gawds sake . I did actually mention it to my private class students said e-mail I received and showed them a copy of the print out I got ,we had a chat about the lengths some people will go to to make a dishonest buck and if any similar scams were operating from this country . Didn't get a lot of mileage on that one so maybe I might try it on my younger day time ones they might appreciate the change in different reading material .
One or two were taken in by it and at the moment e-mails are still passing between me and this villian ,he thinks he's got me hooked ,in the last mail I got to day the fee is 1,000 dollars a nice round figure I thought ,so I said if I have all this wealth waiting for me why can't you deduct it from my winnings I said (the fee that is ) no reply so far the game goes on .

REMEMBER TAKE CARE OUT THERE ,THERES NO SUCH THİNG AS A FREE LUNCH .
yaramaz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

I be feisty wench ya!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: