Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Study Chinese w. part time IT job

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EctoPLaSm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Study Chinese w. part time IT job Reply with quote

Hi friends,

Please give me some help on the following.

I am in Taiwan now for 2 weeks on a 60 day visitor visa, found a part time job at an IT company (through 104 job bank), and want to start a Chinese course. I want to study Chinese either at WenHua (the CCU MLC) or at CLD.

Q1: has anyone tried one of the above courses? If yes, please tell me if you liked the classes / teachers / materials.

Q2: what kind of visa should I get when my 60 day visa is going to expire to stay in Taiwan as a Chinese language student? Should I first extend the visitor visa and after 4 months get a student visa?

Please tell me because I am really worried and afraid something will go wrong.... your help is appreciated.

Koen
Mozilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did u get a job through 104 job bank? It doesn't even display english.
EctoPLaSm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: 104 Job Bank Reply with quote

Just use their English service (there is a link on their webpage). You can e-mail them and ask for an English registration form. They will put your data in their files, and you can receive many job openings every day. Or be contacted by companies that have found your file. The job openings you receive through e-mail are in Chinese, but you can recognize C C++ etc. in them. That's the way I did it and it works!
Mozilla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q2: what kind of visa should I get when my 60 day visa is going to expire to stay in Taiwan as a Chinese language student? Should I first extend the visitor visa and after 4 months get a student visa?

Get a student visa. But for that you have to fly to a Taiwanese embassy outside of Taiwan. Help me get an IT job and I'll tell you ALL the dirty little secrets of student visas, and believe me, there are many,many tricks.

PM me for details.[/i]
EctoPLaSm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: IT jobs Reply with quote

There was only 1 company that contacted me from my 104 profile. For the rest I posted my message & resume to many, many job openings (the ones that I liked). You need several years experience in IT jobs before you become interesting to Taiwanese companies. You should make a good looking CV, maybe an extra homepage with your photo and some more information.
Then, just reply to the 104 mails that you receive. They contain many job openings every day. They are in Chinese, but you can recognize C or C++ or VB things. Or just ask a friend that knows Chinese... Just look for the ones which specify an e-mail address to contact them. Look at the phone numbers (if specified) which region in Taiwan that company is. Other ones link to a 104 page which allows you to send a message to the company (no direct e-mail address specified). You can use that also, but you really need someone who knows Chinese to tell you which buttons to press. I hope this helps you further!
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use CLD to study Mandarin. They use the most known texts, the practical audio visual chinese series. I enjoy going there and find the quality of instruction to be adequate. The instructional emphasis is on the skills of character recognition and of speaking and listening.

As far as visas are concerned, I don't have personal experience there-- I have an arc-- but I'm told the school will assist and advise you in securing a student visa. One possible hitch, though. CLD does actually expect students on study visas to attend classes regularly. That's not the case everywhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: