Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hangzhou Zhejiang Helen China TEFL Network *Warning*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Hangzhou Zhejiang Helen China TEFL Network *Warning* Reply with quote

I was in Hangzhou recently and interviewed with the Hangzhou Helen company.
The contract I was offered did not in any way match what was advertised on their website. The contract I was shown did not even offer a salary or travel bonus for the Winter or Summer holidays.
I was not allowed to call or email any current foreign teachers, and the apartment they put me in for two nights was rat and roach infested and the bedding was unwashed and smelled of sweat and body odor.
No one ever asked me about any of my credentials or experience. It really did not seem to matter if I was qualified, they just seemed to want to sign anyone.
I did meet one of their current teachers in the lobby, and she told me that she had to pay for all of her own transportation and the medical check for her visa inside China, After almost 3 months she is still waiting to be reimbursed for her expenses and to be sent to Hong Kong to have her tourist visa changed to a work visa.
The impression that I got is that they offer you anything to get you in the door, and then do not follow up on their offers.
Fortunately I am in China already. I would hate to travel half-way around the world to be offered a contract that does not even come close to what is advertised on their website.
80daze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning - one I'll definitely avoid!
kev7161

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a few years now, but I had a go-'round with this lot as well, concerning summer school woes. My advice was and still is, stay away from them!
therock

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought China TEFL network was just a website which schools would advertise on, then FT's would contact the school's directly.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therock wrote:
I thought China TEFL network was just a website which schools would advertise on, then FT's would contact the school's directly.

That is just what they want you to think. Hangzhou Helen is still the middleman collecting what I have been told is a 50% commission .

I have been in email communication with the foreign teacher that I met in the lobby, and she tells me that she is still working on a tourist visa, and has still not been reimbursed for money owed to her.
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to get a thread set up where we can create a recruiters blacklist. Yeah, I know there are countless recruiters out there. But getting some names and testimonials for shady recruiters would be nice so people can be steered out of getting screwed.

I think the Korea board has the same thing since recruiters are basically the only way to go if you are out of the country.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DosEquisX wrote:
It would be nice to get a thread set up where we can create a recruiters blacklist. Yeah, I know there are countless recruiters out there. But getting some names and testimonials for shady recruiters would be nice so people can be steered out of getting screwed.

I think the Korea board has the same thing since recruiters are basically the only way to go if you are out of the country.

Have not seen a recruiters blacklist on the Korean board. A sticky on this board about recruiters would be nice.
I have seen a blacklist on the abroad china website
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email from "Helen Consulting" and my response was "I am sorry but I will have to pass. There is much negative information on Helen Consulting, aka Hangzhou Helen, or whatever new name is being utilized. Thank you."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: