Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Use of Japanese in a Amity Interview!?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inuzuki8605

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: The Use of Japanese in a Amity Interview!? Reply with quote

Hello~

I lived in Japan as an exchange student for a year and took nothing but Japanese classes. Needless to say, I learned a lot of Japanese. While I was there, I did A LOT a tutoring in English (from ages 8 to 40). I learned that explaining things using both Japanese and English helped them to understand the lesson a lot more.
Ex: Saying the word �Red� or �Circle� in Japanese and then repeating it in English and having them repeat the English word to me as I pointed to the picture.

I say all of that to say this:

I'm going to an interview for Amity/AEON at the end of February and I'm working on my lesson plans now because I really want this job and I have little classroom experience. Have you heard of someone speaking both Japanese and English in their Lesson Demonstration or is that frowned upon by the recruiters Exclamation Question
Bread

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it's a lot more effective to mix in some Japanese than to do lessons in 100% English. However, when I worked at a big eikaiwa years ago, we were absolutely forbidden to use Japanese. I think it's a stupid policy because, especially with kids, there are times when the student just WILL NOT GET IT if you're introducing something using only English.

On the other hand, I don't really think that your examples of "red" and "circle" really warrant using Japanese. Basic vocabulary (nouns, verbs, adjectives) is something that's pretty easy to do with visual aids in only the foreign language. The time to break out Japanese in a kids' classroom, in my opinion, is for grammar and abstract concepts that are hard to show with visual aids (love, trust, excuse me, "world" vs "Earth" vs "earth"). If it's possible to get everybody in the room to understand something using only English, then that's probably the best way to do it.

Imagine if you were a kid taking a Japanese class and there's a picture of a circle, a square, and a triangle. You don't need the teacher to say "CIRCLE, 丸" because you KNOW it's a circle. The goal of pairing the CONCEPT of a circle with the word 丸 is probably hindered by the fact that they're making you pair the WORD circle with the word 丸 instead.

For the demo lesson you probably shouldn't be using any Japanese. You shouldn't be teaching anything that's difficult enough to require Japanese in a demo lesson for a kids' eikaiwa. The time to show your Japanese ability would be with your Japanese interviewer.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was introduced to all my classes at an eikaiwa, the staff clearly told the students that I didn't know any Japanese (although I did). In itself, that was a heads-up that I shouldn't use any in class. Most employers will ask (some require) that you follow such a policy.

If you want to show Amity that you know Japanese, save it for a different part of the interview, but be careful. Don't overstep your bounds.
inuzuki8605

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for such a quick reply! I understand exactly what you're both saying. I have to admit though, it's a habit that may be hard to break. haha. But I'll do my best. I guess I like to practice Japanese as much as they like to practice English.

I guess I should hope for a manager that doesn't mind so much as long as my students get good marks. (If I make it through the interview of course)
Apsara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inuzuki8605 wrote:
I guess I like to practice Japanese as much as they like to practice English.

Be very careful with this- I can remember a lot of complaints that I heard (not about me luckily) when I was in eikaiwa were "the teacher spoke too much Japanese" or "the teacher seemed to be using the lesson to practice his/her Japanese"- definitely don't say what you said above in the interview.

Find out what Amity's policy is on Japanese in the classroom before you use any in the interview and remember you will not be unique, there are plenty of eikaiwa teachers here who do speak good Japanese, so be careful not to let any use of Japanese come across as showing off.

If they say no, then stick with that, and if you get the job, it's probably better to use Japanese only if absolutely necessary- many students choose a school with native English-speaking teachers because they want an immersion experience even if it isn't always the best way to improve their English, and I always found that to be the best way to avoid complaints.
inuzuki8605

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will DEFINITELY keep that in mind. I've decided to just do my presentation in English (to ready myself for a real class setting). My love for the Japanese Language isn't going anywhere, but I'll be able to use it enough outside of the classroom (Just being in Japan), so it won't bother me to just use English.

Thanks a lot for your input, Apsara. I'm very new to all of this and a bit Naive to say the least. I guess I was being a bit selfish. haha. ^_^
NoExit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of anything but English in the Amity classroom is strictly prohibited- is what I was told by my interviews from Amity/Aeon. They have a strict "English only" rule, which goes for not only in the classroom/teaching time, but also anywhere on school ground/premises.

I'm sure it varies case-by-case and school-by-school, but that's what they enforce at the hiring session. It's supposed to keep up the illusion that it's an "English only" zone at the school- to maximize student's practice, immersion and exposure to English.

Therefore, I would not include any Japanese in the lesson plan- as it would not be allowed in the classroom and it doesn't follow their "method" of teaching. In fact, even when speaking with the student's parents outside of class, it's supposed to be kept to English only- is what they told me during my personal interview.

I too, had some issues with that, as I'm more than sure that many of the parent's English is NOT conversational, so trying to hold a conversation about the student's progress/weaknesses soley in English- even if you can speak Japanese and they can't speak English- it just seems like it wouldn't work.

Although knowing Japanese is good, you don't want your interviewers to think that wanting to practice Japanese is your only reason for wanting to come to Japan (even if it is). Therefore, with that in mind, I would emphasize that your goal is to teach English and not to practice your Japanese- so make sure that teaching as your main priority is what comes across in the interview- and not vice-versa.
sabina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with what the above poster wrote. During my interview I was also told (twice, once in the group session and once during the personal interview) that Japanese was strictly forbidden. Since Amity wants the lessons conducted only in English I think including Japanese in your demo would be very unwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: