Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie to Australia.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Newbie to Australia. Reply with quote

Hello,
Could anyone out there offer some advice on how one would go about finding a job in Australia? I'm a qualified kindergarten Teacher from the UK, I've lived abroad for the last 4 years in Istanbul, Turkey but desperately need a change! The Australian immigration site looks like a minefield and its nearly impossible to churn up a job from a google search. Can anyone offer some real advice about where to apply? when to apply? visas? The working holiday visa seems the only choice for me - something I'm not really sure about... (I'm not a backpacker) I just really want to settle down for a couple of years at least with a stable income.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you kindly in advance!

Siano.
Def

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.

It depends how old you are, really. For visas, anyway. If possible, I'd suggest getting the working/holiday visa. See if you really like Aust or not. There don't tend to be many teaching jobs advertised on google, heh.

The Australian school year basically starts Feb 1, give or take a day, each year. Ends at the start/mid December, depending on where you are. Children in Australia aren't required to attend any educational place before they start school, so in that sense, Kinder isn't 'enforced'. Though the majority of children do go to a Kinder anyway.

As with many places, your best option is really to be in the country to find work. You're not going to be very likely to find anything over the internet.

I don't really know the application process for Kinders though... many private schools have Kinders attached to them, so contacting them directly may be the way to go. As far as I'm aware, that's probably the best way to look for work at all, for Kinder. But it really will require you to be in the country.
jimmiethefish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECE (Early Childhood Educator) positions are often advertised on seek.com.au and mycareer.com.au You could also look at http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au/ to get an idea of the industry in Australia.
alicantik

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the school year has already started, you would be really lucky to find a job now. However, you could go around to schools and apply to be a temporary relief teacher.

All states in Australia also have different requirements to be a teacher. In South Australia you need to have a BELS first aid certificate (from Red Cross) and a Mandatory Reporting Certificate. You would also need to register with the teachers registration board (www.trb.sa.edu.au)

Whilst there probably aren't many kindergarten jobs, there are plenty of childcare jobs, but I think the pay is considerably less.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: