Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Already a teacher, do I still need TEFL or CELTA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to want Ideally to take the August course. Do the math. You won't start really working until September, if you take the course in June, you will have to wait a few months before schools really start hiring. People don't do things in advance here. They need teachers, they hire them there on the spot, they start doing the visa stuff and the teacher works the next day.

Cheers,
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defense of Czechs, the issue of time is a European-wide one....things just work on a more relaxed time scale here in general. It's the same in Western Europe. Stuff gets done...but not often in advance!!
Sigma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of someone who had three interviews in late July and two in mid-August, so it is certainly possible, but it is still difficult in the summer.
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have an interview and working are too different things. You have to remember that the non EU people have a about 3 weeks after their course at the latest to get their visa started and then that's it.
johnnyappleseed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a language school owner, I can tell you that your current qualifications and experience are enough to get hired at many places, though Prague is a much more competitive market than the rest of the country. If your heart's set on Prague, I'd listen to those who are in that market. I am not.

For the rest of the country, it doesn't matter as much with the qualifications and experience that you have.

Personally I would hire someone with your qualifications over someone with a CELTA and relatively little experience, assuming that all other things were equal.

Note, I AM NOT disparaging the other qualifications at all; they are definitely better than nothing.

My very strong advice is to start looking for a job now as it is now more of a pain than ever for non-EU citizens to obtain a visa. It's not impossible. If you manage to find a job in the next few months, you will probably be OK by September, though it will take a lot of planning.

Some will say I'm being alarmist, but in general it's going to be harder than it was even last year. I had a look yesterday at the new laws that are going into effect in January. I still have some questions on exactly how they are going to be implemented, and right now it seems that no one quite knows yet.

Well, they have two days to figure it out. Rolling Eyes

My school is currently mulling over hiring a new native speaker for the 2011-2012 school year.

As far as the changes in health insurance go, I don't think it will affect employees but rather some self-employed teachers.
willie fontaine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the replies.

I also found a TEFL course being offered in August and ending September (2nd). It is with TEFL Worldwide. Would this be seen as equal to CELTA? Is this a reputable company?

@johnnyappleseed: My heart is not set on Prague and i would be very open to other cities that are close. Do you have any suggestions?

I have also been looking at schools in Poland (Krakow and Wroclow). I will be jumping over to the Polish forum soon.

I think I will have a better idea once I return in March. Until then, I am sending out CV's to international schools and keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your help. Happy new year to all.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFL Worldwide has been around for some years now, and I believe has a generally quite good reputation. It will be considered equivalent to a CELTA in the region - it includes the on-site hours and teaching practice.

I should admit that I'm rather fond of this particular school as it's located in one of' my' old neighborhoods (Vysocany), but I also know the owners and trust their knowledge in the field.
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willie fontaine wrote:
My heart is not set on Prague and i would be very open to other cities that are close. Do you have any suggestions?

Depends on what you call close. By American standards, pretty much the whole country is close. Nice places include Liberec, Plzen, Ceske Budejovice, Brno and Olomouc. You might also find some jobs in Hradec Kralove, Pardubice, Jihlava or Ostrava.

If you're into skiing, Liberec is closest to the mountains, followed by Hradec Kralove and Pardubice. If lounging on a river is more your thing, I'd go to Ceske Budejovice. Lots of people go kayaking on the Vltava in nearby Cesky Krumlov. Olomouc has the best architecture out the bunch in my opinion.

There are also jobs to be had in Mlada Boleslav, but I'd personally stay away from there. There's a car factory and not much else.

If you have any specific questions about any of these places, feel free to ask here or send me a pm. I've lived in and visited most, and have second-hand reports from Czech friends on the rest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: