Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opening "Euro" account?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrguay84

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Opening "Euro" account? Reply with quote

Hi, i'm going to be crossing over to 'real Europe' from the UK this summer, and as everyone knows here in the UK we are stuck in the past with our stupid ugly pound obsession.

Needless to say I'll need to open a bank account when I'm over there as I don't fancy having to stash what little Euro money I'll earn into my underwear, under mattresses etc.

So how easy is it to open a bank account (with 'debit' card) in Europe and what kind of id etc. do I need? Also if anyone has any recommendations that would be good.

Secondly, what about credit cards? I might need one for 'emergencies' and of course don't fancy using my U credit card with it's extra charges for using it abroad etc.

Gracias.
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I don't know about other EU countries but here in Romania it was very simple to open an account in Euro (and in Lei, the local currency). All I needed was my passport as ID. I have a debit card for the Lei account but not for the Euro account, but I could have got one but only use it for savings so didn't see the point. Both accounts are linked and so using online banking I can transfer between them freely and for free.

Can't help you with credit cards; I'm fortunate enough not to need credit Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the Danube in Bulgaria you need a passport. That is it. You can even open an account with a zero balance.

In contrast if you try to open an account in a UK bank you need all sort of ridiculous documents.
MsDooLittle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess it depends on which country you are thinking of opening the account.

Here in Slovakia (Eurozone) you only need a passport + permanent address. But bank fees are a couple of euros a month so you can't leave it empty. You should research charges quite carefully as some banks charge a lot more than others...

Have you noticed how much trouble the euro is in? At least the Bank of England can default if necessary to repay the national debt... not a choice for the Greeks (etc) who need to be bailed out by the other countries in the Eurozone.... there be trouble ahead...
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capitalism is in trouble !
Mrguay84

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are cash in hand jobs preferable? Razz

(ps - It's looking like Spain so far)
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are cash in hand jobs preferable?

Embarassed

Could you clarify the question using different language?
Cash to open an account?
Cash versus credit?
Dedicated

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrguay84 said
Quote:
here in the UK we are stuck in the past with our stupid ugly pound obsession

Well, leading economists are predicting the euro will have broken up within the next five years. Germany may well quit the euro as its population tires of bailing out member countries. The euro could lose 3 or 4 of its weaker members such as Greece, Portugal and possibly Ireland before the current crisis abates.

So maybe not a good idea to be opening a euro account right now.

In the last 18 months I have done freelancing work at universities in France and Germany, and to open a bank account (which both places I insisted I did), I had to produce my passport + statement of employment from university + details of residence + utility bills. It was very bureaucratic and lengthy. In fact, Volksbank refused to allow me to open an account for merely 3 months, and I went to Deutsche Bank.
Mrguay84

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
So, are cash in hand jobs preferable?

Embarassed

Could you clarify the question using different language?
Cash to open an account?
Cash versus credit?

As in, don't even use a bank. Get cash in hand, keep cash on you (in your house), pay for everything in cash; landlords etc.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The euro has weathered other crises before. It will weather this one too. Up until recently, it was extremely strong and the dollar was predicted to be on its last legs. Leading economists? Leading us all up the garden path....
Mrguay84

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:

Well, leading economists are predicting the euro will have broken up within the next five years. Germany may well quit the euro as its population tires of bailing out member countries. The euro could lose 3 or 4 of its weaker members such as Greece, Portugal and possibly Ireland before the current crisis abates.

So maybe not a good idea to be opening a euro account right now.

In the last 18 months I have done freelancing work at universities in France and Germany, and to open a bank account (which both places I insisted I did), I had to produce my passport + statement of employment from university + details of residence + utility bills. It was very bureaucratic and lengthy. In fact, Volksbank refused to allow me to open an account for merely 3 months, and I went to Deutsche Bank.

Thanks for the info.

Well the reason I need to open a Euro account is that I'll be living and working in the Euro zone. So it's kind of a similar reason why I'd need to open a yuan account if I was moving to China, or yen account if I was moving to Japan etc.
My good old � account would be pretty useless right? Or if not completely useless then it would be damned expensive. I'm not 100% sure how these things work, but think it's likely that I won't be able to receive a Euro wage (or any other non � currency) into a UK � based bank account without at least being hit with conversion charges.

So what exactly are these leading economists predicting. Are the Germans going to finally see the light and join the �? Razz

Incidentally I've still got about �30 worth of Deutsche Marks which to my knowledge are completely useless. Any chance that I might one day be able to make use of them?
mozzar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh, it's no different to opening a UK account. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any basic level job that will pay a wage into an account in another country. Just open a banking account in a country and transfer it back to the UK. Easy.
eclectic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u put ur $ in a bank, the new world order stages another "terror" strike like they staged on "9-11", and THIS time they dont just shut down the stock markets worldwide, they decleare a bank holiday. anyone who trusted the banks is then frozen like an idiot in a puddle in siberia.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've opened accounts in Spain and Latvia. Passport was all that was needed. The account in Latvia cost 10 lats (�14.50) to open and costs 7 euro a year for bank card. It's a multicurrency account so I can split whatever I have in there between a range of currencies so usually I split it between pounds, Lats (which have a fixed exchange rate with the euro) and US dollars. Bank transfers to non euro countries are about 25 euro, to eurozone countries 10 euro.
Suyu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for Deutsche Bank they have a lot of partners worldwide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: